Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2 at a time  (Read 2673 times)

Shafzilla

• WKC Brave
2 at a time
« on: March 31, 2015, 05:42:55 AM »
I had a successful weekend of smoking a pork shoulder a few weekends ago on my new MT.  (snake method) $1.79/lb was worth the experiment.  Well this week, $1.49/lb just seemed too good to pass up. So I bought two 8 pounders for a house warming party my new wife and I are having in a few weeks.  My question to you fantastic people is... Is it feasible to do 2 shoulders at a time on a 22" with a snake method?  I'm thinking I can position one in the middle and the other over the end of the snake and just reposition when the snake gets closer.  I'm worried they're going to cook at two different speeds.  My other thought was to use the warming rack that came with the MT and just stack the shoulders.  I don't really think they'll clear the lid though.

Any thoughts? suggestions? Experiences with 2 at a time
"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."- Ron Swanson

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
Re: 2 at a time
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:03:19 AM »
use 2 thin snakes  ///   start the snakes on opposing sides of the grill //// light  both snakes where when they burn  you just keep turning you grate to keep the butts between both sides

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:33:24 AM »
"I'm worried "

Delete that, first off.....worry is optional....fun is much more fun............ ;D

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/re-print-ok-what's-in-kettle-3/msg35831/#msg35831

Only real difference is a little more attention to rotating the grate..........attempt to place them on a 1/3 area & then rotate away from where the burn is......it really shouldn't be hot enough to actually cause problems & with the way these things cook thru, and hold, the finished product will be evenly cooked ......

Here's another tidbit.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/the-proper-snake/msg147376/#msg147376
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:35:33 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:40:06 AM »
I think if I were doing 2, I would bank the coals instead of snaking.

with banking, you have to worry about vents and adding fresh charcoal every 2.5 hours (ish)
with snaking, you have to rotate the grate every hour(ish) and rebuilding the snake at least once (probably twice)

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:52:38 AM »
  on this cook I put a beer can between the snakes to keep both ends from lighting

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:53:54 AM »
then defleted the coals with piece of metal

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 08:01:45 AM »

Hmmm, I don't know.

Running two snakes in opposite directions, wouldn't that confuse the pork because it's not burning right to left?

Dude, relax your chicken.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 08:14:45 AM »

Hmmm, I don't know.

Running two snakes in opposite directions, wouldn't that confuse the pork because it's not burning right to left?

Butt, if there's two, it equals out..... 8)

Shafzilla

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »
The less I have to mess with it, the better.  I think I'm going to have to put these on between 3am-4am to make sure they're done by 2pm.  I don't why I thought this was a good idea... haha.

Once again, you guys overwhelm me with fast and much appreciated input. Thank you so much!

"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."- Ron Swanson

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »
@Shafzilla

You can jump in with both feet.....

A common timing for 2 butts (this is on two kettles, however) might be, start in at 11:00 ~11:30 PM, check to make sure things are reasonably in the ballpark @ 12:00........if the Dawgs wake me up, again @ 4, if not, then 6 or 7...run 'till about done around 10:00 to 12:00 depending on size & speed & heat.....

Wrap in double foil, old clean towel, into a dry, clean ice chest, tightly packed with more towels or other stored hot food.....

When they've rested for a couple hours, the juices settle & redistribute thru the meat & (to me) it's like night & day as far as pork quality ...tendeness, pullability, juiciness, etc....

These are slightly smaller than normal, with story....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/look-ma-no-therms/msg114445/#msg114445

Here's two & then 4 the next day....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/nothing-new-just-some-pork-beans/

....all done basically as described.....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:19:39 PM by 1buckie »