Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: accessories storage  (Read 6831 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
accessories storage
« on: March 27, 2015, 04:39:34 AM »
Like most of you I'm fine with "storing" (keeping) greasy grates in the kettle when frequently used. But the spares tend to ... atrophy sorta, and not "be ready." Hope that makes sense.

Extra grates, roastng racks, he roti spit etc --- anything that touches food I want to store more or less ready-to-go. For me that means inside, basically sheltered from rust formation and insects. So maybe large plastic tubs with lids ... or a second kitchen cabinet setup. (Yeah right!)

A lot of this stuff seems to benefit from hanging vertically but don't know how that would play out.

I can't see how I'd want outside or garage storage for things that take up awkward space like tongs, the remote thermometer, drip pans that you want to stay clean in case you want to make drip beans and so on.

I don't have a ton of stuff, so this shouldn't be hard. Hopefully you all will chime in with suggestions. Part of my issue seems to be my grilling area is "remote" --- down the back deck stairs, basement level, not near the kitchen. So I have stuff everywhere, outside near grills, inside near or in kitchen. I wind up walking back and forth a lot, it doesn't bother me (it would annoy most people however.)

Maybe I'll explore the basement some more. Its french doors are right there with grills and it's only one staircase away, sorta.

Anyone have a grill-friendly house to sell?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: accessories storage
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 05:04:30 AM »
Sounds like you need a free standing storage locker with a couple shelves in it in your cooking area. Maybe one of those small, plastic, storage sheds. A table with cabinet doors on the bottom might work too.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 06:41:21 AM »
I struggle with the same issue.

The in and out of the house is a pain and i try to keep my grill utensils separate from the Kitchen utensils.

I have a new performer coming this week and i am thinking i may add shelving like this:

Higher res: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/_hSTvCfA3Ro/maxresdefault.jpg

This poster mounted the drawers to the table/cart.
I might see if i can get larger drawers as the hanging tools are a bit cluttered for my liking, but the idea is really brilliant.

Here is a video of all the mods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hSTvCfA3Ro
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:44:32 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 11:53:39 AM »
ATS, I have a similar issue in that my  kitchen and my grilling area are not very close to each other. Storage space in my little kitchen is at a premium also.
A recent trip to Home Depot provided these solutions, and so far I am pretty happy with them.
This small box has all my grilling utensils, gloves, foil and lighter and cubes.

This big box has all of my extra charcoal grates, chimneys,baskets/rails, water/drip pans, veggie baskets. You name it, it is probably in there.

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
I use a deck box and my non-cookers to store things

my glen blue imperial holds the most valuable and delicate

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »
Did a low investment purchase this morning to see how some random smaller things might store. Still thinking about the larger pieces.

I picked up 3 plastic "shoe boxes", http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-clear-storage-tote-transparent-with-blue-lid-6qt/-/A-13794902 for smaller stuff and a low/wide (but not long) one for misc. http://www.bellastoragesolution.com/en/products/clears-storage-totes/bella-nx-clear-locking-lid-storage/36-Quart---34-06L-Underbed-Box-Locking-Hinged-Lid---360-Swivel-Wheel-Bella-NX-Clear-Storage-with-Bella-Locks/ (mine's white, below) I specifically don't want the usual deep containers without a way to prevent smaller things getting lost.

This isn't enough nor necessarily ideal but would keep indoors and on existing shelves I can repurpose. Inside a Q3xx griddle, the regular roasting/rib rack, a decent-sized bradley rack, warming rack and 3 long tongs. If it were a couple inches wider it could store an 18.5" grate, flat.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »
I hang my "stuff" on peg board along with some nails and screws in my single-car garage. 
No car has been parked in it since I have owned the house.  Too much on the floor.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 03:03:35 PM »
There's kinda like accessories....and then there's tools & stuff.....they overlap, for sure...........

Here's my "Away Box"

A heating pot, paper bowls, plastic spoons, condiments & sauces, pieces of fence board for levelling klettles, cleaver (handle in back there), cutting board (this one was new for the Napa meetup), food gloves, various other odds'n'ends....not pictured is the canvas bag that rides on top against the cutting board.....that carries tongs, therms, grate lifters, certain knives & clean bar towels.....
You can spot it by the flame duct tape & the fact is says: "Video Tapes" on the end of the banker's box.......

The accessories like spare grates, the wok, the skewer ring, charc baskets & all the other goofy stuff I've collected is strewn from hell to breakfast all thru cabinets, storage vaults, in kettles, under tarps, on shelves in the carport, & throughout some minor cubbyholes the wife seems to NOT covet in the house.....

If I had a video camera, we could take a tour.....you would be scared....yes, very afraid...... :o

One thing I've noticed from boxing stuff to camp or store & then need to get to often, is that if it's in a box with different types of implements, it's always the thing on the bottom you'll need....I've tried to sort stuff into 'like' items to reduce the bad words that happen......... 8)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:08:30 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 08:38:47 PM »
If I could I would use a deck box. I been looking. Saw a cube like table that had a lid to store stuff. Ended up getting a performer silver. A 10 gallon tote fits right under it. I was looking for something that would be long for the tongs, etc. I came home with one from Lowe's that I looked better, sealed better.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 06:12:29 AM »
I have a similar lay out in my house, and I've dedicated part of the shelving under my work bench and some pegs on the peg board. I also try to be very mindful of what I need, and try to bring it all down in one trip (rarely happens).

My biggest problem is that I don't have sink in the basement yet, so I still have to go back upstairs when I need to wash my hands. I've been trying to get into the habit of bring down a second set of tongs to put the meat on the grill with, and then have another set for flipping and removing, but even with all that, I still always feel the need to wash my hands.

Wow, starting to sound a little OCD, but I've given myself food poisoning once. Not something you ever want to go through again!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
@WNC here is a solution for hand washing

I've seen on a bump of camping sites:

A recycled family size detergent bottle and a bucket can function as an outdoor sink.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 07:04:53 AM »
Thanks Charlie, great idea!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM »

& all the other goofy stuff I've collected is strewn from hell to breakfast all thru cabinets, storage vaults, in kettles, under tarps, on shelves in the carport, & throughout some minor cubbyholes the wife seems to NOT covet in the house.....

If I had a video camera, we could take a tour.....you would be scared....yes, very afraid...... :o

Sounds like we have the same decorator.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »
There's a common theme to all of this storage. Here's the dichotomy:

1) Permanent
This is exemplified by your kitchen, where stuff gets cleaned but remains indefinitely ready to be used.

2) Semi permanent or portable
This is anything else. Garage, most basements, certainly anything outdoors (covered or not) and portable setups where "once it's assembled or put together" it's clean and read to use.

It's easy to see why what works for someone won't work for someone else. I need to decide what should really stay indoors but organized vs what can stay outside and "the heat" will do most of the work making it ready.

I don't travel much, so a portable setup isn't my goal, but I'm seeing some good ideas I can nevertheless apply there.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 11:41:57 AM »
I have a propensity to build carts or tables for things I need
If you saw my garage you would understand, I have 4 rolling carts set up for different task, that way I can roll them away when finished
my grilling used to be set up around a mobile stickburner till I quit trying to spend all my money traveling to events every other week. Now I am building tables to organize it.
the dutch oven table was just the beginning, I have plans to putting the metal shelves I use for storage on wheels and am designing a cart for storage/workstation next, that way I can roll it all into the smoke cave when finished and have the yard for what it was designed for, hitting golf balls and putting
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline