Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak Briquettes  (Read 6590 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Royal Oak Briquettes
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »
I have not tried it yet, but I am always looking for a great deal on a great charcoal.
I have used this with success :

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=9790.0

This has been my fuel for the past year or so. The comparison in quality to Stubbs is spot on. I get mine at Restaurant Depot for ~ $16/40lb bag.
I am going to have to join Restaurant Depot!
That is a great price.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Royal Oak Briquettes
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 01:09:19 PM »
Older thread but thanks to JC, these royal oak natural briquettes are nice. I used to use TJ's briquettes, but as others have pointed out they tend to crumble right out of the chimney. These don't. They burn hot and don't have any weird smell when lighting. I tried a red bag of the Royal Oak Briqs, and they are different.

For comparison from left to right, Trader Joes briquette, Humphrey's nat. Briquette, royal oak briquette (Red bag), and Royal Oak brown bag briquette (natural).

Humphrey's briquettes and lump are really nice but I can't find a supply in NJ. They are based out of PA.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:12:21 PM by Bbqmiller »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 01:16:06 PM »
Thanks for the rundown !!!!

Have you (or anyone, for that matter) tried out the Kingsford Lump Briquettes?

I'm intrigued by those but have not seen them anywhere
....or even a picture like you did of what those things are like?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 09:40:55 AM »
I found a couple bags of this at WinCo. I'm pretty used the Kingsford Blue Bag but wanted to give it a try.

When lighting it does have a different 'igniting' smell than what I'm used to. Whether that's good or bad, not sure. I did think that it burned hotter but it didn't seem to burn as long.

What is your thoughts on this stuff?
I have switched from mainly using Kingsford when I first started grilling and then to Humphrey's that I really like but is 70 miles to my closest dealer so when I was out one day I saw this Royal Oak and decided to try it.  Well I like it and it was $5.84 a bag so I now have 10 bags of it.  I found that it burns pretty hot overall and hotter than my Humphrey's and about the same or a touch hotter than Kingsford Blue.  Burn time is very close to the KB and but roughly 30 minutes shorter time than Humhreys.  Overall I like the Royal Oak and my plan is stay with it unless a Humphrey dealer all of a sudden pops up around Harrisburg Pa but until that happens I'm switched over to the Royal Oak and not looking back.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)