Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: looking for suggestions  (Read 9261 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: looking for suggestions
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 11:34:38 PM »
Kinda trivial, but how about some additional Weber/BBQ related emoticons?    8)

Well that's bloody brilliant! :)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 11:35:18 PM »
Would be nice to communicate with new people to add their name to the map. I see some people on here looking for agents and i'm pretty sure we have a lot of people that are not on the map.
Not sure if you could make new users go to the map, or maybe a mass email to every one or just new users.

That's a good idea. Let me ponder some methods :)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 11:37:09 PM »
My favorite forum is the "Weber Charcoal Kettles and accessories" forum. By the thread count I would say that I am not alone.
This forum is the place we ask engineering/mechanical questions and historical/restoration questions. We show off our mods, restorations, scores, handles, gadgets, etc. We also post about charcoal sales and clearances.

Should we consider subdividing this forum? Or is the variety and eccentricity part of what makes this site fun?

I do think we need to re-improve our forum categories.
I'm not sure if Kettles & Accessories needs more division or not - but we'll definitely consider it.
Any topics you think we should segregate out of kettles & accessories?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 11:38:03 PM »
I like the index for recipes, alphabetically may be a pain but a index by main ingredient would be nice
such as
pork roast
pulled pork
bacon
pork ribs
hams
other pork
etc.
you could have it expand when clicked on, such as open the recipes and see
beef
pork
chicken
fish
other meats
appetizers
sides
deserts
sauces and rubs

then when they are clicked they expand, that would keep the board uncluttered till things are opened

my main thing I would like to see improved is keeping subjects where they belong, I see stuff in the wrong place all over, but I am just kinda anal like that

one last point, a regional area set up under the meetup forum so we could check for meetups by the area we are in. I think it would improve guys getting together to chew the fat and cook

We're definitely going to do some recipe stuff :)

Regional was planned last year, but it never happened (I won't go into the reasons here)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 03:20:04 AM »
We used to have a recipes section I think..

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 04:28:07 AM »
Add a separate category/tab for Woks/Discs/Griddle cooking.
Please…Please  ;D

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
We used to have a recipes section I think..

we did. but no one was interested in contributing or driving it.
this appears to not be the case anymore :)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »
I was just thinking I'd find a way to compile my successful cooks (VERY loosely defined for my purposes as "recipes") and thought, "why not use WKC for that?"

But I'm not sure I can, because redundant content is still spread between the four BBQ & Grilling Forums. For example I posted pix of my "simple chicken thighs" but also the recipe/instructions for how to duplicate it. Where'd I post it ... ? It was an arbitrary decision, as are most. I do understand each of those subforms has a different intent but disagree subforms are helpful, simply because someone decides to post a picture without talk of how it's made or list a recipe without a plated picture.

New threads with a "recipe focus" could be started with a common visual and textual lexicon

eg: RECIPE: pork sliders
eg: [recipe] pork sliders

Having RECIPE at the beginning of the thread title serves as a visual indicator during a quick page scan. A sorting script that looks for the word "recipe" in thread titles could group them (by date or whatever else you like). Or maybe use a hashtag or @recipe or @recipes and put that to work somehow.

The Cooking Discussions subform in particular has the same content as pix and recipes, because someone will ask "how do I" or "can I" and the responses will be pictures and links to the rest. There's soon no point in keeping just the opening question separate.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »
Addicted have you tried to make your own website with the recipies

I am starting one

I went to godaddy and got a url, hosting a website builder for super dirt cheap
they have templates to start off with that have artwork, and you can change that art work
it is super easy and super cheap, I have all of 20 minutes into mine and I will post a link

anyway, the site is just beginning, kind of like a shell right now but check this out

www.roosterfeathersgrill.net 
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
I plan on (in the kitchen section) posting pictures with a name that will be a link to the recipe and other pictures
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »
I was just thinking I'd find a way to compile my successful cooks (VERY loosely defined for my purposes as "recipes") and thought, "why not use WKC for that?"

But I'm not sure I can, because redundant content is still spread between the four BBQ & Grilling Forums. For example I posted pix of my "simple chicken thighs" but also the recipe/instructions for how to duplicate it. Where'd I post it ... ? It was an arbitrary decision, as are most. I do understand each of those subforms has a different intent but disagree subforms are helpful, simply because someone decides to post a picture without talk of how it's made or list a recipe without a plated picture.

New threads with a "recipe focus" could be started with a common visual and textual lexicon

eg: RECIPE: pork sliders
eg: [recipe] pork sliders

Having RECIPE at the beginning of the thread title serves as a visual indicator during a quick page scan. A sorting script that looks for the word "recipe" in thread titles could group them (by date or whatever else you like). Or maybe use a hashtag or @recipe or @recipes and put that to work somehow.

The Cooking Discussions subform in particular has the same content as pix and recipes, because someone will ask "how do I" or "can I" and the responses will be pictures and links to the rest. There's soon no point in keeping just the opening question separate.

I completely agree with you.
I'd like to move the 'official recipe section' out of the forums and onto the main site.

Recipes can certainly (and should be) shared with the thread in food pics.

I think i'll stop working on an image hosting solution, and start working on something for recipes.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 02:00:15 PM »
Troy, trust me. If you think your band widtbis wide now, just start hosting images. If no one is on the amount you pay is so much because of other sites displaying your images.
Not worth it unless you have big funds
Let those with copywriting intrest deal with hosting images

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 03:09:38 PM »
Troy, trust me. If you think your band widtbis wide now, just start hosting images. If no one is on the amount you pay is so much because of other sites displaying your images.
Not worth it unless you have big funds
Let those with copywriting intrest deal with hosting images
The idea was to offer it, along with several others, as a premium feature.

I would only allow a few different domains to serve images.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 07:33:51 AM »
...I'd like to move the 'official recipe section' out of the forums and onto the main site.

Recipes can certainly (and should be) shared with the thread in food pics. ...

What's your vision for how this would play out? In the forums, when someone had a recipe to share, they'd link to it, which would take the viewer to a different thread living in a list on the main site? Trying to see how that would be meaningfully different from how it is now, so I'm sure I still don't understand.

And by the way, if I can help in some way let me know. I have more time than money to contribute here.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 10:00:08 AM »
Forgive me and delete this if this has been discussed, or done.

Perhaps a mod could make a sticky of a directory of cities/localities where GrillFellas (and potential agents) reside so as CL finds pop up, there is a quick reference of potential agents in the city/locale where the item is located.

Agents can list their names and handles, locales/areas served and preferred method of contact (email/phone)

Ill start.

Jeremy Poshkus (order66)
Areas served: Central MA/North East CT/ Northern RI
Preferred contact: (pirate_flag at icloud dot com)
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |