Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Model "A" Smokey Joe  (Read 4433 times)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: Model "A" Smokey Joe
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:49 AM »
Hey Duke, do you still have the one I sent you that was very similar to this one?  Was there a date code on that one?

Brian
Yes, I still have it. I just checked it and that one didn't have a date code. I think it's just a little older than this one. Danny, I think Chad might be right that it was the first year they started adding a letter on them.

I'm not sure most people notice, but on the older design the bottom was just round like this one and then weber removed the inner tabs that hold the top grate on and added a ridge or lip to hold it in place.

I did notice the inner lip on the later sj's. I have an "O" that has an inner lip, but my "B" does not. And Gregs new "K" does. So some where between at least "C" and "J" Weber changed the design.

I think we are getting closer to developing an SJ spotters poster  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:36:52 AM by Chad A »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 08:38:06 AM »
I know the rim was there with the stationary wire legs/ash pan for 1983 (E) Change must have happened for 1982 or '83. Now I wonder when the SJ's went from the thin wire legs of the '80s to the current style?  :-\

Craig

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »
I know the rim was there with the stationary wire legs/ash pan for 1983 (E) Change must have happened for 1982 or '83. Now I wonder when the SJ's went from the thin wire legs of the '80s to the current style?  :-\

Craig

I just happened to go down and Check my other SJ, it is an "L" and has the new leg style.
Leg change was from "K" wire style, to "L" starting with the current style.

Greg

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »
Cool, I would have guessed it was a few years later. So my K Joe is from the final year of the wire legs. So the current leg style which appears to be the 5th style seems to be the longest running version, then. Original unconnected thin legs of the '50s-early '60s, then the thin wire legs that "hook" together at the bottom of the 1960s, the folding legs of the '70s-early '80s, the early mid 80s wire legs and ash pan and the "modern" style. Now for the question, which of the 5 are the most/least stable? I only have the last 2 versions, they seem stable, but how did the others hold up?

Craig

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 10:09:53 AM »
GL, you mentioned your L having the current leg style. I wonder if the SJ's were in a period of transition between 1989-early 90s. Here's a SJ 1991 (N) code with the wire legs. I was just searching Weber on CL and found this one.

Craig

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 10:46:37 AM »
GL, you mentioned your L having the current leg style. I wonder if the SJ's were in a period of transition between 1989-early 90s. Here's a SJ 1991 (N) code with the wire legs. I was just searching Weber on CL and found this one.

Craig

Not sure... Unless some lids were mixed up. I think my SJG is an "M or O", and it has new style.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Is somebody writing all this down, there is alot of good information shareing going on here.  Someone has to put all this on a graph or chart someplace.  You guys/gals are the best at finding this stuff out.