Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Potato Nails  (Read 8874 times)

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Potato Nails
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »
cool tater cooker/nail thingy.
Great tag line!!  ;D ;D
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 10:25:44 AM »
Yeah, I used to squeeze my potatoes to guess at doneness, until I picked up the 210 trick.  Now I just give them a poke with my probe thermometer and I know if they are done.

BTW, my favorite way to roast potatoes is to scrub them clean, then toss them in some olive oil and sea salt.  The dry heat makes the skins all crispy and delicious, and you can dust off any excess salt when they are done.  I usually tuck potatoes in next to whole chickens or roasts when I'm roasting them.  A little something for nothing. 

And another thing:  you geniuses turned me on to 'cooking in the basement', aka putting potatoes and other foods on the *bottom rack* of the kettle to cook underneath other items.  I haven't tried it yet, but I am fascinated, and can't wait!
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 11:09:06 AM »
Yeah, I used to squeeze my potatoes to guess at doneness, until I picked up the 210 trick.  Now I just give them a poke with my probe thermometer and I know if they are done.

BTW, my favorite way to roast potatoes is to scrub them clean, then toss them in some olive oil and sea salt.  The dry heat makes the skins all crispy and delicious, and you can dust off any excess salt when they are done. I usually tuck potatoes in next to whole chickens or roasts when I'm roasting them.  A little something for nothing.  And another thing:  you geniuses turned me on to 'cooking in the basement', aka putting potatoes and other foods on the *bottom rack* of the kettle to cook underneath other items.  I haven't tried it yet, but I am fascinated, and can't wait!

I usually forget to do this until it's past too late !!!

the basement deal works good, that way you can get them right next to, or even on top of the coals....see what Hank's doing, up above ^^^

I got it from watching my grandpa doing them in the campfire when we were youngsters....

With yams / sweet taters, I'll not wrap & char the skin.......
With regular one's, wrap with foil 'cause we like the skin too much to burn.....

PS: those one's I did on that rack yesterday got olive oil, sea salt & granulated garlic & tasted so good like that, I just left it on !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 11:54:30 AM »
cool tater cooker/nail thingy.
Great tag line!!  ;D ;D
So is yours Bob! :D

"It's like A license to grill. It's A license to grill anything." 8)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »
Craig, it is good to know that potato nails have a history and a pedigree.  I had no idea such a thing existed

Neither did I until about 2 months ago.  ;D True to form, I had to research these.

Craig

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 12:48:55 AM »
Ikea pot rack
Aussie rib holder
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 01:10:48 AM »
Every time I read Buckie's tag line I have a chuckle
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution