Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chip came off my less than 2 year old OTG  (Read 7891 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Chip came off my less than 2 year old OTG
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 03:37:29 AM »
I'll have to remember about calling in the evening if I ever have to again. 

I got the shipping notice last night and the new bowl should be here tomorrow.  I'm really excited.

Have any of you received a replacement bowl before?  Do you know if it comes with the One touch, and ash catcher assembly already installed?  I ask because when I bought the grill new it came with those two things on the bowl already and I'm not sure how I'll get them off.

Bend/pry the tabs out of the leg sockets to remove the ash bucket collar. This video shows how to remove the sweeper handle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4SSX6GiMGM

After the handle is pulled out of the mechanism, the mechanism and blades should pop free.

Installation is the converse and can be a total bitch to do yourself because you need to press hard on both ends of the mechanism, inside and outside of the kettle. A helper is a good idea so that you don't have to be in two places at once.

I couldn't get leverage with my Performer and so, had to remove the bowl from the frame. So if you find yourself laying your kettle on its side to do this ... do it on grass. Wouldn't want to chip the bowl! :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2015, 06:02:35 AM »
Thanks for the video link.  I'm half tempted to buy the new ash catcher set up off amazon for it. 

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 08:45:47 AM »
I'm not sure how I'll get them off.

I have used the following method many times, and it works very easy.

So if you find yourself laying your kettle on its side to do this ... do it on grass. Wouldn't want to chip the bowl! :)

Sound advice.  8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »
While we're on this topic of 7444 ash sweeps. Does everyone else have a heck of a time taking the individual sweeps off the washer thing? Any advice? I see that there's a little punch out that seems to be holding the sweeps on, and I don't want to mangle anything/bend the sweeps getting them separated.
Growing family = growing kettles!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 10:49:14 AM »
While we're on this topic of 7444 ash sweeps. Does everyone else have a heck of a time taking the individual sweeps off the washer thing? Any advice? I see that there's a little punch out that seems to be holding the sweeps on, and I don't want to mangle anything/bend the sweeps getting them separated.

Yeah, I've had this problem.  Brute force is all the advice I can give, being careful not to mangle the blades.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.