Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex + Wok  (Read 15850 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vortex + Wok
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 08:02:33 PM »
I just need to get the wok working in the kettle, never tried it

It is fantastic.  Gets the splatter and mess and heat out of the inside of the home.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 08:25:51 PM »
And hey, @ClubChapin 

What is your sauce consist of...and spices?

I think that really would be one the wife would like............ ;D
Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe, I use a curry paste and mix with coconut milk.  The curry paste I use comes from a thai restaurant near my work, this is their Red Curry (I'm out of stock of the Panang at the moment):

(I don't follow their package instructions, rather I stir fry then add the milk and curry paste.)

That mixes with an 8.5 oz box of coconut milk.  This is my favorite coconut milk, although it is much cheaper from the large discount asian market near me than it is listed for on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/AROY-D-COCONUT-MILK-100-ORIGINAL/dp/B0078V4EYC

99 Ranch may carry it too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:31:56 PM by ClubChapin »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 12:10:17 AM »
OK cool.....I like pre-mix things too.....seems like if they went to the trouble to refine the recipe & actually package it, it's probably going to be above average !!!

(I like that: Do Not Overcook the Sauce !!!)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 05:49:28 PM »
A couple of pics showing the difference between the wire and sheet metal wok rings.  I prefer the wire to the sheet metal.  The flame hits the wok directly and licks the side.  With the sheet metal, I think there is no airflow and the flame can shoot out the holes or underneath it, not directly heating the wok.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:53:23 PM by ClubChapin »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 06:05:24 PM »
Thanks for the insight......those are some great pics !!!!!!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 06:27:44 PM »
Thanks for the insight......those are some great pics !!!!!!

I don't remember the vortex actually glowing in the bottom photo.  I think that is a reflection.  It was Lump, so a little hotter tonight than last couple times with KBB.

I'm really diggin' the Vortex with the Wok.  Wish my wok had the wood handle.  The Vortex does not turn down quickly.  Need to pull the wok to lower the heat.

I bought this Wok, worried that wood handles would burn up:
http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/wokwi2stha.html

I wish I had this one with the side handle:
http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/castwokwsiha.html

This might actually be the one to get:
http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/nepowwokwflo.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:29:01 AM by ClubChapin »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »
I've seen restaurant people use that last one......flipping with the long handle, swishing back & forth with the short handle.....the handles are made of some kind of wood that will last a good long time, just don't leave it hanging right over the flame.....

I have some cast iron pots & pans with wooden handles like that, but you can actually un-screw & remove them if needed....
That's how I know to not leave 'em over fire !!!!

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 06:55:18 AM »
Wow. This looks awesome. Something I have seen people try but I have yet to. Nice work!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
A couple of pics showing the difference between the wire and sheet metal wok rings.  I prefer the wire to the sheet metal.  ...

Hi @ClubChapin , I scanned back through this thread but didn't see any more info about the wire wok ring?

I'm looking at carbon steel woks ... still not sure if I'd benefit from being able to "flip one" (long handles ...) but figured if I got a BIGGER one, I could use it for more things, semi-discada-like even, some smaller deep fries like 1buckie showed here ... and if it were broad enough, use it successfully with my Gourmet grate. No vortex on my horizon. Anyway, if you have more info about the wire wok ring I'd appreciate it!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 03:15:41 PM »
I scanned back through this thread but didn't see any more info about the wire wok ring?

I'm looking at carbon steel woks ... still not sure if I'd benefit from being able to "flip one" (long handles ...) but figured if I got a BIGGER one, I could use it for more things, semi-discada-like even, some smaller deep fries like 1buckie showed here ... and if it were broad enough, use it successfully with my Gourmet grate. No vortex on my horizon. Anyway, if you have more info about the wire wok ring I'd appreciate it!

Here is the one I use:

http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/wifrwokri.html

That is a good source for Woks too.

Is the Discadia a redneck wok?  Seems like it is used the same way from what I've seen.  I'm not sure what you would use it for that you wouldn't use a wok for?  Is it sort of a cross between a wok and a griddle?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:18:04 PM by ClubChapin »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 03:55:37 PM »
@ClubChapin

The discada plow discs are much flatter than an ordinary wok...Here's some links for BBCue-Z's setups.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/disc-setup/msg148970/#msg148970

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/sweetsour-pork-with-lo-main/msg110384/#msg110384

I couldn't find the older one where he does paella over a kettle, but the low slope of the disc works better for rice cooking & some other items.....

Ah, here's a link from Smoke Ring where he's doing up paella...

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67732

Most folks use them over a propane burner, but Z found you could get a more even across heat using charcoal on a Weber ....I concur & do so even with a Weber wok at times.....

Looked a little further & found the one on a kettle.....

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60558

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 04:17:04 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke

"still not sure if I'd benefit from being able to "flip one" (long handles ...)'

Don't know if anyone filled you in, but you & I are the only ones authorized to throw stuff up in the air around here..... :o 8)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 06:06:38 PM »
...Is the Discadia a redneck wok?  Seems like it is used the same way from what I've seen.  I'm not sure what you would use it for that you wouldn't use a wok for?  Is it sort of a cross between a wok and a griddle?

I didn't know discs from discadas until this year. But yeah I'm sure there's more than a little redneck in it.

Is it sort of a cross between a wok and a griddle?

Well, sure, and that's part of the appeal (for me.) I can't justify a large griddle, and I'm not sure I can justify a large wok, but if a disc can sorta maybe do both, I'm in.

Tonight I cooked up some leftover stuff on the stove. Measured my IKEA teflon wok. 14".

Not a bad size for the kitchen, and about the same size as Weber's current wok. But it seemed a little small for what I threw into it, and I *think* I'd want something that basically consumed my 22's area, like how the original Weber wok did.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke

"still not sure if I'd benefit from being able to "flip one" (long handles ...)'

Don't know if anyone filled you in, but you & I are the only ones authorized to throw stuff up in the air around here..... :o 8)

But .... but I don't do that NOW with the lightweight one I have in the kitchen! Me scared! If I tossed it around OUTSIDE I'd be upset the first time the food went onto the deck or down the hill.

Kids come home and ask me what's for dinner. "Different stuff" is my pat answer. Who cares? Just shut yer yap and eat it! They've never had it before and may never again. Wife called it "goulash" and that's being charitable. I call it, look in the fridge for last week's grilling cooks and toss it all together in a new and mysterious way. "This is kinda sweet, what'd you do?" "I added nothing sweet. Next question?" And so it goes.

Sometimes I look in a cookbook for ideas. Just as often, YOU guys provide the ideas. Half of what I post here comes on the heels of someone else's.

Spot of the IKEA wok's teflon came off sometime ago. It's a goner; tonight was its swan song. On to the next gadget. Neighbor came in while I was wiping down my Q300, "laying in wait" and helped himself to the mystery meal. "Oh, I gotta bring some 'o this home to my wife!"

"You guys didn't EAT DINNER? Take it all!" We took some there, they came back for more here. What kills me is, these people are foodies and she especially is a phenomenal cook who loves to cook. And yet they frequently skip dinner. Another story for another time.

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 07:02:35 PM »
Cool setup I've never used one on my kettles,but I keep seeing so many good posts on wok cooking I'm going to keep my eye out for a wok now.