Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **Craigslist Flakes - (or truth in advertising)**  (Read 5573 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: **Craigslist Flakes - (or truth in advertising)**
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
I can't stop sayin' bro.

Bro.

Got another similar flake online as we speak! We'll see how they play out! F#@kin' Flakes!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
I can't stop sayin' bro.

Bro.

Got another similar flake online as we speak! We'll see how they play out! F#@kin' Flakes!

.....well, I guess i'm not having any mayonnaise..... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 04:52:50 AM »
Did you know they put listening devices in our cheese!?

CL is truly the wild Wild West!

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 04:54:34 AM »
Only in Swiss cheese. It goes in the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

zach1234

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 10:55:36 PM »
Great stories!! I don't have anything that matches the stories here, but my favourite trick that a couple of people tried to pull on me was agreeing on a price and when we meet, they show up with not enough cash and say that's all they could come up with.  No matter how desperate you are to sell, play hardball. I would ask why he didn't mention that earlier before meeting up.  Usually I just tune out whatever he says in response.  I be nice and say "I wont go lower than the price on this grill, but if I'm selling a cheaper entry-level grill in the future i'll email you".  In 2 out of 2 situations, he finds a few bucks in his pocket that he forgot about.  The best part about both situations, they came to meet me about half a block away from my house - morons spent the time to travel across the city to meet me, not much of an inconvenience on my end.

And to look at the other side of the spectrum.  I purchased a cheap weber kettle last fall and when I saw it in person, it was a bit dirty.  To be honest, I had no problem with that - I was going to give it a deep clean regardless.  But the seller (she was the kindest person I have ever dealt with on CL/other sites) almost forced me to take brand new unopened cleaning products, with a value equal or higher to what I actually paid for the grill, despite me saying that it was not necessary at all.  But the morons out there who clearly watch too much Pawn Stars are much more entertaining!

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 08:35:45 AM »
the pawn stars guys
yea you see those guys. As well as the storage war guys.
I did a service call once at a storage place and the manager clued me in on the auctions, back then you could get a storage unit for 75 to 150 dollars.
I actually bought a few and turned the stuff in it for a small profit. Decided it was not worth the time and effort however to move used stuff as you have to deal with the public wanting to get it for nothing. When I saw storage wars I was amazed at what they were paying for the units. But what has happened is Joe Public, seeing a easy buck on tv, goes out and quadruples the bid price. He soon finds out it is not a profitable business to be in unless you have store front and buy lots of units each weekend. Soon he is advertising on craigslist and we have to deal with him.

My favorite craigslist deal went like this, I agreed to meet a guy and sell him the object but felt real uncomfortable about it. So I asked a friend to come on over with me. He wanted to take his own truck. The original guy did not show up so I was about to leave and my friend had driven off when a guy pulls into the lot and come right on over to me. He was driving a POS Corolla that could not even hold the item. My friend saw him and came back around slowly. When the guy got there he was trying to get me to come to his house that was in a bad area of town. He had the money but wanted me to deliver. I said no and was going to leave when the guy gave me the money and asked me to leave the item so I unloaded it. The guy pulled out some tools and started to break it down and load it up into the Corolla when I left.
About an hour later, at my house, a cop calls me on the phone and ask me to verify a story that I had sold the item to some guy at a grocery parking lot. Seems the guy was caught disassembling the thing and they thought he had jacked someone for it. The guy had priors for holding guys up at meeting spots.
I told them to look at my ad on craigslist to verify.
2 things I was happy I did,
2 things I was glad I did, not go without my friend and I never delivered, everything was in public.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »
I keep swearing Craigslist off, but eventually I return.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
I keep swearing Craigslist off, but eventually I return.

It's merely a sub-aspect of the much larger & more invasive disease......Weberitis...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 03:03:36 PM »
the last gasser I bought was from an elderly gentleman. He and his wife had moved into an apartment to down size but the grill as a natural gas grill and apartments don't have connections obviously. The guy invited me right on into his house I thought it was odd but whatever. He was a pretty nice dude.

I bring this up because you never know what you are gonna run into galavanting around the countryside meeting both weirdos and good folk. It's good you trusted your intuition with that guy. It would suck to be newsflash at 8pm and the wife to get a call from the cops
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:55:04 PM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.