Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **Craigslist Flakes - (or truth in advertising)**  (Read 5574 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
**Craigslist Flakes - (or truth in advertising)**
« on: February 04, 2015, 08:42:16 AM »
OK- So I'm sure most of us have experienced some flakey CL deals along the road to RRR our beloved kettles, and many have shared some here, I'd like to share this gem, I just dealt with!

Imagine if you will, a CL ad for a Red 18" kettle. 2 pics, one focused on the lid vent and the kettle at a distance. I can clearly see its a 22", the lid handle is badly bent, and can barely make out the "L" date stamp.  It first appeared around the Holidays for $75. It had been top posted a few times and then last week the price dropped to $50, again its getting top posted. So I email an offer of $25 and get an immediate response countering for $30 in a text.

I asked about the condition, leg sockets, ash sweeps, the damage to the lid, etc. and get responses like "Its in great shape and the dent in the lid is so small, it won't affect anything and my food will still be awesome"! "I can pound the dent out if you like, it never mattered to me". 

So, I took him at his word and I said I'd come take a look at it after work in the morning.

RED FLAG!

He sends me pics of it as I'm driving to pick it up and tells me it'll be on his porch and to leave the money under the door mat. This is what I see:

I pull over and leave him a voicemail (phucktard wouldn't speak) and told him it was a little rougher than I was led to believe and that I'm having second thoughts about it, and he counters with "I don't want to wast your time if your not interested, and it sounds like you are a collector? It's not bad in my opinion, but I look at it more for functionality than looks!"
The he says, "just pay what you think its worth and leave the money under the mat!"

Quandry - I press on, and find his address and its sitting on the porch like he said, but the odd thing is there was a Sheriffs patrol car with blacked out windows idling directly across from the house. I'm thinking WTF? and proceed to lay a tarp down in the rear of the SUV, and I'm putting on gloves to keep from getting greeezy and the cop car windows roll down and the officer is eyeballing me like this is drug deal or worse and I roll the kettle down the drive and load it in the back, then take a $20 bill out and put it in an envelope and stick it under the mat, all the while this cop is working me over with the hard stare down. I take off the gloves, buckle up and wave bye at the cop and get the hell outta Dodge!

......to be continued......
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: **Craigslist Flakes - (or truth in advertising)**
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:13:22 AM »
LMAO!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »
LLOOLLL!!  Make a lampshade out of the lid and a planter out of the bowl.

You are now on a police stake out list.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:15:06 AM »
Craigslist has some real winners, don't they...
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:18:46 AM »
hahaha

man that will buff right out :P

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:55:13 AM »
.....it puts the money under the mat.......it puts the money under the mat....it puts the lotion in the basket.......

.....the cops have your licence #......hope things don't go south......  :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

timleo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »
I can't wait for the rest of the story

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »
Hey Swamp, might want to read this story from GC8 a Minnesota buddy about his Breaking (almost) Bad CL episode

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/green-otp-an-adventure!/msg93616/#msg93616

Excerpt:

" Great start, right?!  Next, his lovely lady comes waltzing out of the bedroom with cig in hand and no pants and not the good kind of no pants.'

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »
Reminds me of a story I once told back in the early days of WKC...

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/12/18/the-rescue-mission-a-martyg-kettle-adventure-story/

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »
OK-

So this is turning out to be a little better than expected. I inverted the lid and laid it on an SJS bowl that I'm toying with and with just a little downward pressure the dent pretty much popped itself back into shape, without any finish flaking off!
Then with a rubber mallet the handle frame was tapped back into shape.

I have a piece of rail for an anvil and set the handle points on it and gently pounded them flush with the lid again.

The bowl is in pretty good shape with only a minor rust spot on one of the leg sockets. Ash sweeps and leg set in order.

Wire brads were pounded in the leg sockets at some point, along with some athletic tape for extra measure!

.....more to come!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 08:05:42 PM »
Allow me to share my CL knucklehead encounter today.

@minigrillin let me know about a good deal on a OTG today and even offered to have his dad snag it for me if I didn't have the time.

Here is the post:

Here are two screen shots of the text. The guy went from his add price of 40.00, up to 50.00...then to 60.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 03:14:09 AM »
What a punk.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »
Seems to work the other way too     :P

I just sold a Valentine's Day redhead (one replaced by my new MT redhead). It was actually cute because it was part of the buyer's Valentine gift.

Anyway, another buyer was all butt hurt, and he was second by a whole day....

Red Weber Grill

Buyer        11:34 AM
Hello, is the red weber still available?

me        11:56 AM
Hi , I have someone that says he wants it. Trying to coordinate a time to meet. We'll see.
I can let you know how it goes either way?

Buyer        12:32 PM
Would you take fifty right now? I can come for it asap. Thanks, > http://crai...

Buyer        12:52 PM
Well?         > >> http://craigslist.org/mf/16c2fb5ba82afaa2c8d75cbb58aa6....

me        1:09 PM
Hi , Sorry for the delay. I can't right now. I can follow up later if you want.

Buyer        2:24 PM
Well? It was easy to get a response from you before I made an offer! > > Well? >

me        3:11 PM
Hi, Sorry. I am deleting the posting.
I'm meeting someone to buy it.
If it doesn't sell, I can take your offer if it still stands. Otherwise, no worries.
Thanks

Buyer        3:53 PM
What do you mean?! My money isn't good enough! I emailed you first! Jerk!   > h...

me            5:28 PM
Hi ,
I am so sorry.
I sold the grill for the asking price to a buyer that contacted me soon after it was posted.
I'll need to check with my service provider to understand the delays in my emails.
I've been forced to sell my grills, so I thought I'd try placing them on craigslist after I cleaned them up. I like to grill, but I have a few to get rid of.
I have a green one with the ash bucket that will be sold when I finish cleaning it, probably next week. I'll be asking $100 for it. But if you'd like to see it, it's yours to decline.
Again, my apologies.

Buyer        6:59 PM
Why would the red be cheaper than the green!? This is forty niner territory for crying out loud! I wanted to use the grill for tailgating at the new stadium. With the green I would look like some loser jets or even worse a packers fan! Do you have another red?

me            8:27 PM
Ah, I see.
Yeah, my friends, family and neighbors are Nines faithful.
But I resemble the Packers remark, but what else would you expect from a jerk. I think they're coming to play the 9ers and the Raiders this year.
Anyway, I'll ask some friends (I have a couple), to see if they might have a line on a redhead. I checked with one friend and he didn't have one.
The red I had wasn't perfect, the green almost is.

me            9:21 PM
As I'm checking, do you have a price range in mind for a tailgating grill?
Sometimes they need parts - grate, ash sweeps.
If you don't want me to bother just let me know.

Oh yeah, and don't be a jerk!       8)

---------------------------------
Dude, relax your chicken.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 06:56:54 AM »
Lmao! This thread is awesome..
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 03:20:39 PM »
Seems to work the other way too     :P

I just sold a Valentine's Day redhead (one replaced by my new MT redhead). It was actually cute because it was part of the buyer's Valentine gift.

Anyway, another buyer was all butt hurt, and he was second by a whole day....

Red Weber Grill

Buyer        11:34 AM
Hello, is the red weber still available?

me        11:56 AM
Hi , I have someone that says he wants it. Trying to coordinate a time to meet. We'll see.
I can let you know how it goes either way?

Buyer        12:32 PM
Would you take fifty right now? I can come for it asap. Thanks, > http://crai...

Buyer        12:52 PM
Well?         > >> http://craigslist.org/mf/16c2fb5ba82afaa2c8d75cbb58aa6....

me        1:09 PM
Hi , Sorry for the delay. I can't right now. I can follow up later if you want.

Buyer        2:24 PM
Well? It was easy to get a response from you before I made an offer! > > Well? >

me        3:11 PM
Hi, Sorry. I am deleting the posting.
I'm meeting someone to buy it.
If it doesn't sell, I can take your offer if it still stands. Otherwise, no worries.
Thanks

Buyer        3:53 PM
What do you mean?! My money isn't good enough! I emailed you first! Jerk!   > h...

me            5:28 PM
Hi ,
I am so sorry.
I sold the grill for the asking price to a buyer that contacted me soon after it was posted.
I'll need to check with my service provider to understand the delays in my emails.
I've been forced to sell my grills, so I thought I'd try placing them on craigslist after I cleaned them up. I like to grill, but I have a few to get rid of.
I have a green one with the ash bucket that will be sold when I finish cleaning it, probably next week. I'll be asking $100 for it. But if you'd like to see it, it's yours to decline.
Again, my apologies.

Buyer        6:59 PM
Why would the red be cheaper than the green!? This is forty niner territory for crying out loud! I wanted to use the grill for tailgating at the new stadium. With the green I would look like some loser jets or even worse a packers fan! Do you have another red?

me            8:27 PM
Ah, I see.
Yeah, my friends, family and neighbors are Nines faithful.
But I resemble the Packers remark, but what else would you expect from a jerk. I think they're coming to play the 9ers and the Raiders this year.
Anyway, I'll ask some friends (I have a couple), to see if they might have a line on a redhead. I checked with one friend and he didn't have one.
The red I had wasn't perfect, the green almost is.

me            9:21 PM
As I'm checking, do you have a price range in mind for a tailgating grill?
Sometimes they need parts - grate, ash sweeps.
If you don't want me to bother just let me know.

Oh yeah, and don't be a jerk!       8)

---------------------------------

How much for thee leetle Redhead....HeeHee?