Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using charcoal baskets for mini Minion method  (Read 9886 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: Using charcoal baskets for mini Minion method
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 11:39:25 AM »
I am loving all of these real-time experiments people are posting lately.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
Alright, for anyone following Jammato's and mine experiments with the charcoal baskets...
Tried the method of putting the lit coals in the corner

Trying out something like this.....thanks for the spritely discussion all..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 01:55:35 PM »
Good looking red kettle by the way

that is a great method, I like the way you are using the wood for the dam

if that works, we have a briquet cook coming on.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 05:55:13 AM »
This held for around five hours, maybe a little more, I got to cooking other things and stopped checking. I did throw about 5 or 6 more coals in the mix about half way through, probably didn't need to, but I did anyway to be safe.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 06:18:16 AM »
This held for around five hours, maybe a little more, I got to cooking other things and stopped checking. I did throw about 5 or 6 more coals in the mix about half way through, probably didn't need to, but I did anyway to be safe.
Sounds like a success. 5 hours +/- ?

Were you able to get the ribs done in that time?

How much temperature control did you need to do with the dampers?
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »
1buckie really like the Humphreys BBQ charcoal Maze.  That would pretty much take care of any long cooks in my kettle that I would even be doing.  Need one setup more for are rounded kettles I really like the maze setup overall.  Might have to look into having something like built.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »
Hey Charlie, I would say it was a success. I was able to get the ribs done with plenty of time left over in the coals. In fact, I let the ribs go a little too long. We had friends coming over and they were running late.
I put them on around 12, by 12:40 up to temp (275 is what I like for ribs) I think I pulled them off around 5.
When it got up to 275 I closed the bottom vents downs to just a little less then one fourth open, but the temp crept up to 300, and I closed it down with just a tiny crack open. That seemed to work and it sat between 275 and 300 the rest of the time.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 05:55:04 AM »
Hey Charlie, I would say it was a success. I was able to get the ribs done with plenty of time left over in the coals. In fact, I let the ribs go a little too long. We had friends coming over and they were running late.
I put them on around 12, by 12:40 up to temp (275 is what I like for ribs) I think I pulled them off around 5.
When it got up to 275 I closed the bottom vents downs to just a little less then one fourth open, but the temp crept up to 300, and I closed it down with just a tiny crack open. That seemed to work and it sat between 275 and 300 the rest of the time.

Great results. I cant wait until the snow melts here so i can do some more of my own Kettle experiments, and by experiments i mean cooking and eating ridiculously good BBQ using "scientific experimentation" as an excuse.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 08:26:20 AM »
This is the exact method I use when doing a long cook on the jumbo joe. Works great.