Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY Hovergrill  (Read 15884 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
DIY Hovergrill
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:33:04 AM »
I recall seeing a thread/photo here or elsewhere about a DIY Hovergrill. Someone essentially used some type of hardware to attach an elevated grate off the normal cooking surface in the kettle. Anyone make one or know of an existing thread?

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Re: DIY Hovergrill
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »
I'm sure @1buckie will be around shortly with a few links since he is the king of the archives. I know what you are talking about though. I believe most of the time when it is done they use bolts/washers/nuts to create a stand-off of the grate. As some point I will do that but I haven't come across any cheap grates.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
Thankfully I have extra grates that came with my used kettle purchased of Craigslist. I hope to learn from someone elses' mistakes; i.e. hardware type, height, etc.

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »
Here are some pics of my efforts getting ready for Super Bowl appetizers on the 26er, the hovergrill is a 22.5" grate I had laying around...

3.5 or 4" 3/8 SS bolts, flat washers and nuts from Home Depot plus a spare non-hinged grate = DIY Hovergrill
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:46:22 AM »
Here's a pretty good  layout from JoCool in OZ.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/tinkering-i-love-it!/msg107989/#msg107989

I just use this cheapo disposable beach grate with the handle bent down so it fits..........

The far side sits on the edge of a flip-up, propped up by a small firebrick.........

Has a flip-up feature too.......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:24:52 AM »
How do you all use these ? Does the food on the top great cook quicker and therefore needs to be rotated ? Is it a PITA rotating the food ? Last time I used mine for some wings I found the wings on the upper level cooked a lot quicker than the lower level
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:03:57 PM »
That's a good question @Hogsy, I reckon that would be relevant for what I'm planning.

For super bowl, I plan to smoke/BBQ a few things and am looking to expand real estate.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 12:29:27 PM »
i've only done a few double decker cooks, but in my limited experience the food cooked slower or at least at the same rate as the lower level.

BluesDaddy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »
This is great timing (pun intended).  I was just searching for something like this as I have a couple old 22" inch grates around that I'd like to repurpose as hover grills for my 26.75" kettle.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
I think the hover grill is just under 18" diameter so an 18 grate might work, I think the height configuration will be the part that will require some research or experimentation. I've been thinking of doing one of these but haven't gotten to it yet.

As for the difference in heat in the two levels, a maverick with two pit probes might show where the hot spots are in a two level set up.

Keep us posted with your results. I'm very interested to see what you build.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 04:06:39 AM »
This post has some ideas I would like to incorporate in a DIY hovergrill, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125339. It would nice if you can have the top rack rotate for easy access to the bottom, like post #13 in the linked thread. Question is, how do you accomplish something similar using plain ol' hardware or supplies available at a home improvement store?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 04:35:41 AM »
I use these cooling racks. They come in various sizes and very inexpensive at Business Costco or Cash and Carry. Cheaper than buying grates, bolts, washers and nuts IMO.

Or, the Big Green Egg convertible grate, has flip up side to play with the food underneath.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:37:31 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 04:42:22 AM »
This post has some ideas I would like to incorporate in a DIY hovergrill, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125339. It would nice if you can have the top rack rotate for easy access to the bottom, like post #13 in the linked thread. Question is, how do you accomplish something similar using plain ol' hardware or supplies available at a home improvement store?

That is sweet and I'm sure it can be done with the right hardware to counter the weight.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 04:17:45 AM »
To follow up on my last post, I found a post on a forum that made a DIY version of an elevated swing grate. I purchased the hardware last night to attempt doing this: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/11356-homemade-diy-swing-rack/

I'll try to assemble this evening and report back.