Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Equipment or Methods Did You Used to think was a gimmick, but now use?  (Read 6566 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Although I never really thought of Automatic Temperature Controllers (ATC) as a "gimmick", I did think they were overkill and unnecessary.  In fact, I took some pride in the fact that I knew my smoker/kettle well enough to perfectly dial in the temp without the use of mechanical aids.  But after building an ATC for Wapiti, I really appreciate the "set it and forget it" convenience.

Now I must admit I still see the ATC somewhat as a crutch, and realize that most experienced cooks can control heat without one, but I have to admit that I am sold on using it.  One less thing to worry about while I am putting a big cook together.  I do take solace in the fact that my ATC is simple, and I am not tracking cooking logs or monitoring/adjusting temps from remote locations using wireless technology.   :)

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
My 2 gimmicks that are now basic must haves are Weber charcoal chimneys and charcoal baskets.  I had tried chimneys in the past but they sucked.  I was too cheap to buy and actual Weber one.  What a difference!  I now give away Weber chimneys to lighter fluid users.  Along with a pack of starter cubes I do not think I have ever failed to get a convert.   

Charcoal baskets ended up being the same thing.  Used the crappy rails and it was to much of a hassle and still ended up crazing the finish of my grills.   Once I got my 1998 Performer with original wire baskets I was sold.  The new stamped steel baskets are better than nothing but not as nice as the originals or some home made expanded steel ones.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Bumping this for new folks, think this is a good thread to keep at the front of mind.

Sorry @Hofy, I love the charcoal rails, especially on the 18". The baskets are too big and don't allow enough room for indirect heat. I used to think the rails were cheap pieces of crap until I started really using the 18" a lot more. I like that you can adjust how much of the charcoal grate is used to hold fuel and how much is used for indirect cooking area.

My 18" is a newer OTG and replaceable if it crazes/become unusable. Now I don't think I'd use the rails on a yellow  ;D but they are fine for my every day cooker.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
I always thought that OTGs were kinda gimmicky because a real griller only used a OTS or a daisy wheel! Now I use OTGs all the time due to the fire hazard when the wind blows (all the time it seems)around my place.  I too thought that the GA was a gimmick until I used it for the first time! As for a Themapen well...... I love mine!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

charred

• WKC Performer
Hate to admit it but I used think Weber kettles themselves were a gimmick- i.e., ridiculously high-priced grills. Same thing re: their chimneys. Thankfully I got my mind right.

As for the Thermapen, it IS an overpriced "gimmick" when you consider the Thermopop is $70 less and reads only 1 second slower.

(Incoming!!!)     ;D
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
I too agree with what most people here have been saying. I love my baskets...will never cook without them...the Performer Gas start feature is awesome, starter cubes and the chimney and I have both the Thermopop and Thermopen and just cant stand wasting that extra second the pop takes over the pen ;)  Always use the Pen..

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
I too agree with what most people here have been saying. I love my baskets...will never cook without them...the Performer Gas start feature is awesome, starter cubes and the chimney and I have both the Thermopop and Thermopen and just cant stand wasting that extra second the pop takes over the pen ;)  Always use the Pen..
@indy82z, will gladly take that pop of your hands, I have plenty of extra seconds.

;D
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

charred

• WKC Performer

Someday I too hope to live the kind of life that is so insanely fast-paced and full tilt boogie that that extra second would be deemed too valuable indeed to lose. 

Until such time,  I'll get by w/ the Pop.  ;)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Troy

• Statesman
Thermopop is a great device,  but it's more than 1 second slower,  it's like 4 seconds slower.  Thermapen will have a close reading within 2 seconds. Pop will take 4 or 5 to get close,  and 6 to be accurate.  And it's less accurate and precise.

12 chicken thighs on the grill.
Pop will have your lid open for more than a minute.  Pen will be 30 seconds or less

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Thermopop is a great device,  but it's more than 1 second slower,  it's like 4 seconds slower.  Thermapen will have a close reading within 2 seconds. Pop will take 4 or 5 to get close,  and 6 to be accurate.  And it's less accurate and precise.

Pop will have your lid open for more than a minute.  Pen will be 30 seconds or less

Have to agree with Troy on this one.  I have done cooks for 35 - 50 people (chicken, burgers, tri tips, etc).  When you have a bunch of food on the grill(s), the fast reading and accuracy of a thermopen is a very nice thing to have.  Well worth the money.

If you just cook a couple of steaks or a single chicken every now and then a themopop is great product at a great price.

And for the record (from the Thermoworks website).  Thermopen = +/- 0.7 degree with < 3 second response.  Thermopop is +/- 2 degrees with a 5 to 6 second response.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

Have to agree with Troy on this one.  I have done cooks for 35 - 50 people (chicken, burgers, tri tips, etc).  When you have a bunch of food on the grill(s), the fast reading and accuracy of a thermopen is a very nice thing to have.  Well worth the money.

If you just cook a couple of steaks or a single chicken every now and then a themopop is great product at a great price.

And for the record (from the Thermoworks website).  Thermopen = +/- 0.7 degree with < 3 second response.  Thermopop is +/- 2 degrees with a 5 to 6 second response.

Winz

Spoken like a couple guys who know about such things.....

It's telling having to guess on the last 3/4's of the cook when 45 people are drooling..... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Bbq gloves...never needed them forbgas grilling..but charcoal...yeah..use them all the time and when i dont inget reminded real fast to put them on.  Charbaskets..always used them and always will..keeping hot coals off the porcelain and being able to slide them around as required is extremely useful...makes the kettle very versatile
Grills

Hofy

• WKC Brave
Bumping this for new folks, think this is a good thread to keep at the front of mind.

Sorry @Hofy, I love the charcoal rails, especially on the 18". The baskets are too big and don't allow enough room for indirect heat. I used to think the rails were cheap pieces of crap until I started really using the 18" a lot more. I like that you can adjust how much of the charcoal grate is used to hold fuel and how much is used for indirect cooking area.

My 18" is a newer OTG and replaceable if it crazes/become unusable. Now I don't think I'd use the rails on a yellow  ;D but they are fine for my every day cooker.

To each his own.  I do not have an 18" so I do not know how they or baskets would work on an 18".  I do still use my rails, just not as intended by Weber.  I use them to raise my pizza stone up higher in the grill above the main cooking grate.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
I use them to raise my pizza stone up higher in the grill above the main cooking grate.

That's a real good idea !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
The Thermapen can temp various parts of a chicken *while it's turning on a rotisserie*. 
One of the charcoal people.