Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Equipment or Methods Did You Used to think was a gimmick, but now use?  (Read 6564 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Okay, I did a thread about what equipment or methods you outgrew here  -- http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/what-equipment-or-methods-did-you-'outgrow'/

But what methods or equipment did you used to think was a gimmick but found out it is very useful to you?

To get the ball rolling, for me, it was the gas assisted charcoal lighting on the Performer. I originally thought that was the goofiest thing ever...until I bought a used one it. Now, I wish I could add it to every grill I own, even OTS's that I have!

How about you?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:43:31 PM by Mark Schnell »

Troy

• Statesman
i LOVE the performer gas assist :)

As for me, the thermapen (or actually, all thermometers in general).
I was such a grill snob, i refused to use any thermometer and insisted that a good chef should be able to know when food is done.
I spent years gauging the time, temps, and doneness of meats using my hands, fingers, and occasionally a fork, knife, or toothpick.

Eventually I realized that having the thermapen is a HUUUGE advantage. HUGE. I don't think I could live without mine.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
I am Troys evil twin. I embraced the thermopen from the time I got serious about cooking (I now own 3 thermopens and numerous other Thermoworks products).   On the other hand, I haven't used the gas assist on my performer for over a year.  Thinking of removing it and using the space for storage.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Craig

• WKC Mod
This is why I hope to find a non gas assist SS Performer down the pike. I want to be able to change out bowls and lids and don't want to fart around with gas lines and fittings. I love my chimney and the occasional fluid starts...

Oh and I am in love with my Thermopen I got for Christmas.  That was once upon a time a "gimmick" to me.... a long time ago in a Bullet far far away

I still think grilling tool carrying cases are a gimmick and I don't own one. .

polishmartin

• WKC Brave
Never thought it was much a gimmick, but I never thought there was any need to use a drip pan in the kettle - it will burn off anyway right?  That's until I realized how much easier cleanup was using a drip pan (I use HD alum foil more often), to prevent grease/fat buildup in the kettle and around he sweeper.  I now, almost always use this setup with indirect cooks.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
Agree about the Thermapen. I've changed the batteries out in mine 3 times now

wyd

• WKC Ranger
When I first started I didn't think I needed to spend the extra money on certain things like grill tools (tongs, spatula. meat fork and so on) so I bought cheap.  First time I picked up anything with weight to it the cheap ones just bent.   I went out and bought the expensive Weber ones and never had this problem again.  Wish I would of spent the little extra to buy the better Weber ones to start with as I would of saved money.

The other thing I really like and wasn't sure if I needed them is the charcoal baskets.  Man I really like the ease of using them for about 90% of my grilling for the ease of cleanup later and too keep the hot coals off the sides of my kettle to help avoid possible spidering of my outer finish on my kettle.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

GregS

• WKC Performer
when i found out charcoal baskets existed it was like seeing what's inside the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
A Harbor Freight Weed Torch.

Once you've tried to dump a flaming hot chimney into a 55 gallon drum charcoal basket and not burn yourself up, its priceless! Use it on all my cookers!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
I have to say it was the charcoal baskets I always thought were a gimmick, till I got a set for a birthday present. I can't do without them now.

I am even toying with the idea of getting a smokenator these days
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Yeah, I was the same way with the baskets. Then I saw my old black OTS's crazing on the side where I used to pile the coals. There's no way red hot coals are going to directly touch the side walls of my Crate and Barrel green baby!!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
You guys have me really tempted to pick up some charcoal baskets.  For me when I first got into charcoal grilling I thought chimney starters were just a silly gimmick, "why would I need something like that?" was my attitude.  3 or 4 cooks later, and tired of fighting with the charcoal to get going, I took the trip to Lowes and got a Weber Chimney starter.  I love them now and would never try to start charcoal with out one.  Same with their little lighter cubes, they just work so much better for me than anything else.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Same with their little lighter cubes, they just work so much better for me than anything else.

Agree!  I thought these were a gimmick, but now I buy them in bulk.  I even use them to get wood burning in my fireplace and have 3 of them stashed in my hiking pack for emergency fire starts.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Winz, I use them in my fireplace too. They are the BEST fire starters, much better and cheaper than those fire starter bricks you can buy.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
John, you couldn't take my Weber chimneys away. I actually use them in the Performer to start more coals than I can fit in the baskets. I only use the baskets for starting coals if I'm cooking indirect and only need as much as will fit in the baskets.