Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked Burgers  (Read 3700 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Smoked Burgers
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:28:07 AM »
Any one makes smoked Burgers around here?
What do you like or not like about them?

I form my burgers around an inch thick so they can stay in the smoker longer and take on more smoke flavor.

Just simple seasoning of S&P, garlic and onion powder and some seasoning salt

They usually take about 45-60 min in the smoker at a temp of 300 Degrees. Since they’re thick and not cooked directly, they take a little longer. Also I cooked them to well done, since I did not grind the meat my self, and they were cooked at lower temp without curing salt.

Since the ground meat is so porous, the burgers take on that beautiful red color from reacting with the smoke, kind of a smoke ring, but all the way through :)

I like these burgers occasionally for the smoke flavor, but still prefer the traditional cooking method for the crust and the flavor you get from fat dripping onto the coals.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smoked Burgers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:04:38 AM »
what about a cold smoke and traditional cook?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:25:30 AM »
what about a cold smoke and traditional cook?

Great minds think alike. That's what I do L.B.. Keep the temp down to around 170f and smoke em' till they just start to firm up then transfer to a waiting grill. Found this post with me doing some burgers:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/smoked-blue-cheese-stuffed-hamburgers-on-the-jumbo-joe/msg109289/#msg109289
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing those look great!! I love smoked burgers and recently got a very small cast iron pan to finish them after the smoke. I look forward to trying it and the sear grate for burgers.  I  smoke mine at a lower temperature because I cook them as I need them and stash the rest of the smoked burgers in the fridge separated with wax paper to be grilled fresh the next day. I cook mine to med/med well and my prefered toppings are caramelized onions, arugala and goat cheese. Dam my mouth is watering im making burgers tonight thanks as always for the inspiration. Your cooks are always top notch. 
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 02:01:47 PM »
I don’t think it’s safe to cold smoke store-bought ground meat without curing salt??
Since I don’t know enough about it or the exact science behind it, I’m not going to elaborate on it; however, I would not personally take a chance and especially feeding my family.
I have done 1/2 indirect or hot smoke and 1/2 traditional or direct, but the texture and the flavor were not the same. Smoked burgers have a distinctive flavor and texture that weren’t there with this method.
Thanks for the feedback though :)

Thanks AcrossFromHoss :)
I like the cast iron pan idea. I think I’ll try that next time, may be it'll give me that crust that I like  ;)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »
I don’t think it’s safe to cold smoke store-bought ground meat without curing salt??

Not cold smoking here. Anything above 160f and you are fine. I try to stay below 200f and more toward 170f. What say @1buckie ?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
"I don’t think it’s safe to cold smoke store-bought ground meat without curing salt??"

Probably a good idea.....even with the inspections & FDA / USDA stuff, factory ground meat is less safe than doing your own where you can see what's going on........

The point of curing & then cold or low heat smoking of sausages & the like is so the fat doesn't melt down at that heat & either make the sausage dried out or partial rendered greasy......the cure is so it's safe at those lower heats.....

for the time it takes to do up burgers like this, or maybe fresh sausage smoke cooking, Hoss is onto an acceptable way of going about it....160~170 gets it up to snuff quick enough.....

Sausage with curing added goes in stages......low, up a little, up a little, up a little, end at 154f & a lot of situations then ice bath to stop the cooking........ 
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 10:24:18 PM »
Couldn't help but make burgers after seeing this post. I was lazy so just tatonka dusted some medium beef and pan fried them on the stove. topped with caramelized onions, chevere goat cheese and a fist full of baby arugula dressed with aged balsamic vinegar. Made up a few to smoke tomorrow as well. 

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting toasted buns and slow cooked onions.

Free Image Hosting arugula dressed with aged balsamic vinegar.

Free Image Hosting
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:21:26 AM by AcrossFromHoss »
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »
Those look great AcrossFromHoss!!
I think the peppery taste of Arugula pairs very well with burgers and the goat cheese is an nice addition (a favorite of mine). I can't wait to see the smoked burgers :)

1buckie,
Great info there.

MrHoss,
I did mention that I tried the hot smoke and then direct and didn't produce the same results for me.

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 06:16:08 PM »
Well my week of burgers continues. I just pan fried Tues/Wed burgers but today I finally braved the cold and smoked some. I picked up more medium ground beef today and just gently formed them lightly around the edges to make sure they hold their shape with a little tatonka dusted on both sides. my temperature mostly sat between 180-220 for most of the cook. I used 15 briquetts in the vortex and a piece of oak up on the grate. Smoked indirectly for roughly an hour till they started to firm up around the edges.

Free Image Hosting grate was a little dirty i patted them with a paper towel

Free Image Hosting resting while i put on the cast iron grate and a fresh chimney of briquettes.

Free Image Hosting I love the sound of meat on the sear grate :)

Free Image Hosting the purple maroon color isn't showing up as well with the flash but they took plenty of smoke.

Free Image Hosting same kit as last time toasted bun, caramelized onions, arugula and goat cheese.

Free Image Hosting cooked to medium well. these were smokey, juicy, peppery from the tatonka dust and arugula and nice acidity and creaminess from the goat cheese.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:03:03 PM by AcrossFromHoss »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 04:38:22 AM »

<a

Real men pick up the sear grate with their bare hands.....Good Show, my man !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"