Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: iGrill  (Read 7042 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
iGrill
« on: January 24, 2015, 05:46:33 PM »
Any thoughts on the iGrill2?  Looking to get one to go with me kettle and WSM.

A quick search turned up mixed opinions. Any new or revelationary feedback?

Thanks, Pete

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
Re: iGrill
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
I have the first one and love it. Though I wish I had the new one. What I'll do is I like to monitor the temp so I can do other things and then adjust the temp. Then after a few hours, I switch it up and stick it into the ribs or pork butt. Seems a hassle, but the igrill2 would fix that dilemma. The temperature probe is extra by the way. Though I just stick the probe in the damper.
The app is great, presets, or make your own. I'll set an alarm for 200, then if it goes off, well low on propane or low on coals.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »
This was moved for being offtopic?  Why?

It was in "Weber Charcoal Kettles & Accessories".  Seems like the right place as it is an aftermarket accessory for a charcoal kettle.

"Weber Charcoal Kettles & Accessories
Anything relating to charcoal kettles and all the aftermarket options and accessories."

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:54:11 PM »

It was in "Weber Charcoal Kettles & Accessories".  Seems like the right place as it is an aftermarket accessory for a charcoal kettle.

Anything relating to charcoal kettles and all the aftermarket options and accessories."

not sure, but I moved it back.
sorry about that.

regarding the igrill, its a decent device - but it's far from amazing.

the remote temp ability is great, but the bluetooth distance  is really crappy.
I live in a single story house, smoker is 15 feet from the sliding glass patio door.
I can maintain connectivity  in the dining room and kitchen, which both have windows overlooking the patio.
The rest of house, easily less than 150 feet away, will lose connection.
I have a high end android device, so i tried it with my wife's iphone - even worse.

It also chews through batteries like a mother. I had to replace the batteries on my 4th smoke. I assumed it was a fluke, but another month later and the batteries were dead again.
Apparently bluetooth takes a lot of juice.

I sold it to a guy at work for $50 and went back to my trusty Maverick 732. Oddly enough, I've had that thing for like 6 years and only replaced the batteries ONCE.

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:28:54 PM »

sorry about that.

I live in a single story house, smoker is 15 feet from the sliding glass patio door.
I can maintain connectivity  in the dining room and kitchen, which both have windows overlooking the patio.
I have a high end android device, so i tried it with my wife's iphone - even worse.

It also chews through batteries like a mother. I had to replace the batteries on my 4th smoke. I assumed it was a fluke, but another month later and the batteries were dead again.

I sold it to a guy at work for $50 and went back to my trusty Maverick 732. Oddly enough, I've had that thing for like 6 years and only replaced the batteries ONCE.

Are you talking about the Igrill or Igrill2? I have the Igrill2 and the range is great. I live in a two story house and get reception almost everywhere with my smoker in the backyard. If I close all the interior doors in my house and go in the back bedroom, then I'll lose reception. I have an Iphone 6 Plus and I'm very happy with the Igrill2. I've done about 10 smokes with it, half of which were 12 plus hours and still on the same batteries.

timleo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:24:57 AM »
I have an iGrill, and it works great with the wife's iPad...not so much with my Android tablet.  I would surely recommend it to my friends

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »
I really enjoy my iGrill, especially looking at the graph feature (excites the engineer in me). I like how much smaller the new version is but I can just use what I got, especially since I got it used on eBay for a fraction of the cost retail.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:02:44 AM »

sorry about that.

Are you talking about the Igrill or Igrill2? I have the Igrill2 and the range is great. I live in a two story house and get reception almost everywhere with my smoker in the backyard. If I close all the interior doors in my house and go in the back bedroom, then I'll lose reception. I have an Iphone 6 Plus and I'm very happy with the Igrill2. I've done about 10 smokes with it, half of which were 12 plus hours and still on the same batteries.

i had the 2. Maybe i just had a bad one?
I'll reach out to the guy that bought it and see what he thinks, maybe i'll get him to send it in for replacement.
or maybe i'll buy a new one to give it a fair chance and a review.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »
i won the igrill 2 years ago
bluetooth range is crap
batteries get chewed up rather quickly
other than those its grate

you must review the 2
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 10:24:42 AM »
bluetooth range is crap
batteries get chewed up rather quickly
other than those its grate

you must review the 2

well damn it, that sounds just like the one i had.
either we got bad ones, or the others got good ones ;)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:03 PM »
Sounds like they are well liked, but that battery life may be an issue.

I've been warned.  Being a sucker for tech and bbq, I think I will try one of these, unless there is a better one.

Is there an option for external ac or dc power?

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 08:57:19 PM »

Is that "the igrill2 (years ago)" or "the igrill (2 years ago)"?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
My teammate has one (not sure which model) and we used it at a comp to monitor temps in his Peoria offset. In my opinion it was more hassle than what it was worth, battery use was an issue, and likely the outside temp had an affect on the unit as well. I use BBQ Guru's and really don't need the remote, and I usually don't stray far from my cookers, but that's just me.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 04:11:46 AM »
Here's another one (from Thermoworks) that might be nicer, at twice the cost.
http://thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_duo.html

I wonder how the apps compare.

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »
I looked at the iGrill but ended up going with a Maverick 732 instead.  Not long after that, I bought a second 732. 
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere