Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM Charcoal Chamber in Kettle  (Read 4025 times)

BluesDaddy

• Smokey Joe
WSM Charcoal Chamber in Kettle
« on: January 15, 2015, 10:44:35 AM »
Anyone use a WSM charcoal chamber in a kettle for cooking/smoking indirect? Seems to me the one for the 18.5" WSM would work very well in a 26.75 Kettle for less money than either a smokenator or a vortex, if not providing quite the same performance. Anyone tried this?

Troy

• Statesman
Re: WSM Charcoal Chamber in Kettle
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:49:24 AM »
i used to use the charcoal ring from cajunbandit.com in my 22" grill. it was handy for snaking.

I think firebricks are cheaper and better than smokenator.
and I think the only thing a vortex is good for is high heat to a small area .

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 07:10:37 AM »
I have used a 22.5 WSM charcoal ring in 22.5 Kettles using the snake method. Did this to keep the coals of the back of older coloured Kettles and it worked like a charm. The charcoal grate of a 22.5 Kettle fits perfectly inside the ring.

Using a smokenator banks coals directly against the side of your bowl. I did this and now have a warped Black Kettle and a smokenator gathering dust. Like Troy I use firebricks and find them better. I just place the firebricks on the charcoal grate allowing me enough room to not have to pile the coals against the back of the bowl. The firebricks also help even out heat in the chamber.

I have a recently purchased vortex and am still evaluating it so have no firm opinion yet.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:04:05 AM »
Let me know if you want to see some indirect pics w/ the Vortex. It's main advantage with this message is the angle in which it deflects heat away from the meat compared to other options out there

BluesDaddy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:46:54 AM »
Let me know if you want to see some indirect pics w/ the Vortex. It's main advantage with this message is the angle in which it deflects heat away from the meat compared to other options out there
Always love to see pics of accessories in action. Please, if you have some. I've looked at the Vortex and it certainly looks interesting. Thanks!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:48:35 AM »
Expanded metal ring in a 22" for short cooks. Its about the size of an SJS charcoal grate.

One I made that's smaller than an 18" WSM ring in a 22".

Inside a Cajun Bandit ring.

Another made of perf steel @ the size on an 18" WSM ring.

I use smaller dia. expanded metal rings in my drums, and figure I get over 5 hours of burn time from a Weber chimneys worth of Kingsford briqs, (@5lbs) cooking direct. Never paid any attention to cook times indirect, but I never add fuel during a cook either.

Absolutely no reason it wouldn't work in the 26.75", I never have, but did modify some charcoal rails to replace the puny Char-Baskets.

Go for it!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 11:49:36 AM »
Here's one BluesDaddy. Again, the main advantage w/ the Vortex (for indiret) is blocking the center air while deflecting the heat from the snake method out and away from the meat. Plenty of ways to skin a cat, I see a ton of good methods on this site  :)

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 10:47:50 PM »
Smoke ring looks great.  How long did your brisket take with that setup?
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 06:20:07 AM »
Smoke ring looks great.  How long did your brisket take with that setup?

Thanks wyd! My guess would be 5-6 hours. This one was a few months ago