Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Unwanted websites popping up?  (Read 4143 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Unwanted websites popping up?
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:42:06 PM »
Anyone else having this issue, it seems like every 3 or 4 times I try doing something on this/our site I get redirected to to some other webpage, like doctor oz and other crap like that. I didn't know if it was some new advertising thing or what. Doesn't happen when I visit other sites on my same device.

Is there any fix to this? I've cleared my history

Thanks, justin

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Unwanted websites popping up?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »
Also wanted to add that I love this site and visit it multiple time a day. Love the info, pics, and people. I contribute when I can and when I feel like I've got something to add. Bitten by the weberitus bug bad.

Thanks, Troy and all members here who make this place what it is.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 06:07:36 PM »
That should not be happening at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

What browser are you using?

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 07:07:48 PM »
Safari on an iPad. Just happened again went to the home page, hit the forum tab, redirected to another site. Hit back and it took me to the forums.

Just tried on my wife's lap top, and everything seems to be working fine on her computer. Must be something I did to the iPad. Anyone got any ideas.

Thanks

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
yikes.

it sounds like your ipad or safari on your ipad is infected with a virus or a spyware.
do you get it on any other sites?

can you install Google Chrome and see if that works better for you?

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 04:16:33 AM »
Thanks Troy, it doesn't seem to happen when i'm on other sites though.

I'll mess around with it today and see what's going on. I'm just glad it's not happening to everyone, and that it's not some new advertising thing you implemented.

Thanks for the site and the advice

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 04:28:52 AM »
Installed chrome and everything is working normally again. Thanks again Troy

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 04:57:40 AM »
I use safari on my iPad, no issues. I don't think you can even get a virus on the iPad.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 07:01:41 AM »
I use safari on my iPad, no issues. I don't think you can even get a virus on the iPad.
I also use an iPad with Safari frequently to access the site and don't have any issues.  But I did a search for this issue out of curiosity and found that what WNC is describing has happened to others also across the iPhone, iPad device line while using Safari.  While I didn't study it carefully, there didn't appear to be a good "do this and it will be fixed" solution.  One would think you could reset the iPad back to factory specs and reload the apps and it would be fine but who knows...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 07:12:32 AM »
You can. :)

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 02:17:53 PM »

Only if jail broken or using unauthorized apps, yes? Otherwise I've never seen an instance of virus on iPad.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 03:10:46 PM »

Only if jail broken or using unauthorized apps, yes? Otherwise I've never seen an instance of virus on iPad.

sadly, no.
there are plenty of browser exploits (adwares, spywares, etc) that any IOS device can get hit with.

Joethebartender

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 11:39:20 PM »
How about installing tapatalk app on the ipad?  Access straight to the forum.   (Free)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »
I have this problem on my iMac, every time I click on a site another page opens up usually with ads or advertising a program to stop it happening like Adblock or Mackeeper
Not sure how to fix it...,,
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution