Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stoven?  (Read 4619 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Stoven?
« on: December 27, 2012, 07:32:02 AM »
Anybody seen this conversion kit in action? Little pricey...

http://www.americansundancer.com/stoven-barbecues.html

Greg

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Stoven?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 07:40:01 AM »
Yeah, they are posted all over craigs all the time. I just can't see the advantage and don't like that the ring has all of those holes to let all of the smoke out. Besides the price. ::)

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:40:11 AM »
Holy Crap! for that price I'll buy a 22.5 WSM!!!!
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
Has anyone tried one?
The pellet poopers are starting to take off over here
The Yoder range has just hit our shores and they look great
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »
First time I came across this. Pellet grills seem to be becoming more popular, haven 't reallly looked into them. Never had an issue with a Weber, so why...

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »
Pellets really intrigue me.  I am beginning to see more of them at trade shows, and the prices are coming down as well.  They use real wood pellets that are heated by an electric or gas burner.  The burning wood produces heat and smoke.  The pellets are sawdust or a form of charcoal pressed together into small pellets.  You can mix wood types and even blends of spices can be added. 

It could have the potential to do what gas grilling did to charcoal grilling in the 60's-70's.  Or what covered grilling did to open braziers in the 50's.  People are always looking for the next big thing. 

The Stoven retrofit for the 22.5 seems to be over kill. Why would you want to use pellets when you can wood/charcoal

I am not sure about this but isn't Fast Eddy's Cookshack a pellet smoker?  I know it is used in BBQ Competitions and has a lot of big wins.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:34:25 PM by reillyranch »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:09:56 AM »
I'm not sure if there would be enough savings in the end either. Pellets are cheaper by the pound. Should be less ash and there are many hardwood options and blends for that matter. It doesn't show for this option and am not sure on true pellet cookers, but do they have a thermostat control that regulates the discharge of pellets?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 12:47:47 PM »
I'll pass on this as they can't even spell!  Chute vs shoot!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 07:17:35 PM »
Sure be fun to tinker with one, see how it performs and all that. And just as soon as the prices are closer to the ground where I walk, I might just do that.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 06:05:56 AM »
It doesn't show for this option and am not sure on true pellet cookers, but do they have a thermostat control that regulates the discharge of pellets?
I looked up pellet smoker on Amazon. I was curious how much a purpose built pellet smoker would cost compared to this adaptation. It looks like some have a thermostat and others just have a low/medium/high switch. I think you can be pretty sure that if this unit had a thermostat, it would be touted in the description.
kettles, smokers...

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »
It got a pretty good review over on BBQ Brethran. I think its only down fall was the pellets needed to be refilled every 2-3hrs which would suck on an alnighter
But for general grilling and roasting it does a great job
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 04:46:10 AM »
Uh, no.  I cut my own wood and add to my charcoal.  I always have wood as I use it to heat my house also.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm