Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22.5" Jumbo Joe Walmart Exclusive  (Read 12110 times)

CakeByte

• Smokey Joe
22.5" Jumbo Joe Walmart Exclusive
« on: December 21, 2014, 07:49:03 AM »
This was in Walmart's ad today, and appears to be the same as the Compact Kettle 57cm that Weber has in Europe.

I kind of want to get one, but I haven't decided yet if I really should.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:01:35 AM by CakeByte »

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: 22.5" Jumbo Joe Walmart Exclusive
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:21:11 AM »
I saw this somewhere else too online. Looks as though they are going to offer these stateside for '15.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:31:39 AM »
Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:39:27 AM »
You mean this guy http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weber-Jumbo-Joe-22-Premium-Charcoal-Grill/39649584?

Doesn't seem to be available in red 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 11:49:25 AM »
I am just a tad annoyed that this is what Weber has chosen to bring in from all the cool stuff they sell outside of North America.  However since it has screw on legs if you could make something like a standard jumbo joe base it would make a good portable 22" fire pit but I don't see many people picking this over a standard kettle, it reminds me of the Weber knock offs that you can find for $30 to $40 new.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »
Id rather pick up an old MBH black 22 and make "Traveler" style legs. It's portable and it holds true to shape and proper airflow. This compact/new style JJ makes me think of nothing more than burgers and dogs... Which is what I'm thinking this kettle is made for quick and direct cooks only. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to step on toes of those that own this and have success with it. If it works for low and slow then who am I to judge..

CakeByte

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
Id rather pick up an old MBH black 22 and make "Traveler" style legs. It's portable and it holds true to shape and proper airflow. This compact/new style JJ makes me think of nothing more than burgers and dogs... Which is what I'm thinking this kettle is made for quick and direct cooks only. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to step on toes of those that own this and have success with it. If it works for low and slow then who am I to judge..
From what I've gathered from reading about the European ones, they really aren't suited for more than just simple direct cooks of smaller items.

I've decided I'm not going to get one, but if I did, I could see it being a nice little place to cook a side dish or two while you're making the main course in a normal kettle.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
i'm holding out for the 26.75" Jumbo Joe Joe.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »

...I could see it being a nice little place to cook a side dish or two while you're making the main course in a normal kettle.

That's what the 18" Jumbo Joe is for.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »
Not for me.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 07:01:33 PM »
That's interesting.  I'm not sure who this is for, well now that I think about it.  I get the feeling this is how Weber plans to compete with all the cheap knock off kettles that sell for 50 - 70 bucks.  Weber is basically saying hey want to spend under 100 for a kettle, buy this!  Get's them hooked on the amazing Weber products.  It's like a gateway kettle. 

I know when I got into charcoal cooking, I went with a cheap knock off to start.  I wasn't sure if I'd stick with charcoal, and I wasn't sure at the time what spending almost 3x the price would get me.  I knew Weber was a great brand but not much else at the time.  After a season or two with the knock off I knew, and understood why the Weber was 3x the price and worth every cent.   I imagine its a hard sell to people just getting into things though.  This becomes the perfect counter offer, I'd imagine sales clerks would have a much easier time talking someone into this, than a OTG or even a OTS. 

Its a really smart move by Weber, and I hope it pays off for them.  Now bring some accessories and things over for those of us who already love you!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 08:46:48 PM »
I already have one.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 03:06:06 AM »
If the legs are easily removable it could be a good tailgate grill: compact for packing but large cooking space for direct grilling (burgers dogs sausage etc.)

When you look at what the competition sells for $70 this is a good deal.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »
Save your money people!!!! The compact is a POS!!! Cheaply made and poorly constructed and its very disappointing that weber would even put there name to such crap
Don't worry it won't be long til CL is flooded with compacts like gumtree is over here and you'll be able to pick em up for a dime (even that's overpriced)
Mind you sellers will still want top dollar because after all it's still a WEBER
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 12:19:40 PM »
I called Weber today and asked about this particular grill. The CSR checked with a supervisor and called me back. He told me this is a "Walmart only" exclusive deal for one year. He said Walmart requested it.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"