Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Chief turns up down under!  (Read 5595 times)

JayCee

• WKC Brave
A Chief turns up down under!
« on: December 20, 2014, 03:35:27 AM »
I was having a look on Gumtree on my way to work and couldn't believe when I saw an ad which looked like a Flat top brownie. I clicked on it and saw it was a 26. So straight away I made the call. An older lady answered and told me a bit about it. It's an A code with a bit of wear and tear but a Chief none the less. It had been her fathers for many years and was passed down to her. She had also had it for quite a few years herself. I asked if she new if her father bought it new and she said he was out driving and it fell off the back of a trailer. He loaded it up and gave chase however he was unable to locate the car and thought he may as well hang on to it. I also asked why she was selling it as it had been in her family for so long and she said she was retiring and planning a move half way across the country and it was too big to take.

Upon receiving the kettle the scars from the trailer incident were quite apparent. The bowl was mis-shapen however I managed to get it back by lying it on it's side and pushing it gently until I was able to get the lid on. It is missing a handle (luckily the back one so it can still be moved ok) and one of the daisy wheels, which I have one I can use to replace it with. The top handle has also been reattached with tec screws and the front part of the triangle which hooks into the leg has broken off. I used a spare leg clip that holds the ash pan in place to keep the triangle attached. I also added the ash pan from an old 22 I had which will serve it's purpose for the time being while I see if I can source an original 26' ash pan.

My plans are to clean and polish up the legs, triangle and vents as well as get a new lid handle. I'll straighten the existing daisy wheels and re-attach them with nice stainless screws. I'll also polish it up as best as I can to bring it back to it's former glory. I'll give it a JoCool style raised 2nd tier grill which should allow me to cook heaps of turds and wings at once whilst using less charcoal than cooking on 2 22' kettles. Then I'll order some wheels from a Genesis to replace the existing ones. After that I'll see which direction I want to go with it. It will always be a cooker (I've already cooked up a batch of wings on it to Christen it) and I'm keen to use it as much as I can for that purpose, however I'm at a bit of a fork in the road. Do I keep it as original as possible as it is a vintage, or make a few practical mods? I was thinking since it was missing the back handle getting the lid bale of a 26' and having it like my master touches. (Feel free to share your thoughts on this).

Whilst it's not perfect, this kettle has grown on me and definitely reminds me of the motto, rescue, restore, respect. As far as I know it's the only chief in Australia which also makes it pretty special. I think it's nickname shall be "Wiggum".

Thanks for reading.

Jase.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: A Chief turns up down under!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 04:04:40 AM »
Amazing! Great story and great pics Jace. All great kettles find their way to the WKC sooner or later. Wiggum will do you proud for many years.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 04:41:00 AM »
that is a beast!  congrats! 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 05:00:11 AM »
Very sweet!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 05:34:11 AM »
Whilst it's not perfect, this kettle has grown on me and definitely reminds me of the motto, rescue, restore, respect.

Well said, my man.  That's what this great club is all about.
In my eyes, that beauty does look perfect.  Great score!  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 06:11:58 AM »
What an awesome find JayCee!! A Chief in ANY condition is sweet score, and yours actually looks pretty amazing considering the back story. A good cleanup and handle and it will stand proud once more!

Congrats!!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 06:14:53 AM »
Oh and my votes to keep it as original as possible 8)

Just awesome!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
A Chief turns up down under!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 07:14:02 AM »
Jaycee, congratulations! Correct me if I'm wrong but this might be the "newest" (late model) Chief to enter WKC hands.  Possibly the earliest date kettles were made available down under? I don't think I've seen live photos of a an A code Chief other than the 1979 catalog. This is also the final year that the Chief and Aristocrat red 26"s were available. I love the wheels on these since they have a thinner profile than the later 80s-90s "Genesis" style 8" whitewalls. I vote to keep it as original as possible except for maybe adding a 22 WSM lid thermometer. The handle you can swap out the screws for rivets and it will give you a cleaner look while remaining sturdy. Again congrats on a great score and IMO a rare find.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:20:54 AM by Craig »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 07:17:35 AM »
What year did Weber come to OZ?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 07:38:04 AM »
What year did Weber come to OZ?

When Paul Hogan (aka Crocodile Dundee) became famous.  :o ;D ;) ;)

"That's not a Webah …. That's a Webah!"  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:43:43 AM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »
Wow. Amazing find.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 09:01:41 AM »
Really glad you ended up with this......pretty amazing  !!!!!

I do gotta feel for whomever lost it off the back of their truck a long time ago....though !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »
Dang if that ain't a great find!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 02:31:23 PM »
Very Nice.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 10:45:35 PM »
ahh finally posted here

dont know which took longer