Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vintage Kettle Questions  (Read 10644 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vintage Kettle Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »
Maybe if I can find a decent old metal handle black grill, I'll just paint it to look like the custom...All I need is some artwork of the chickens and cows or whatever they are....

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »
It almost looks like the artwork of the chicken an cows are painted red in the shapes of the different cuts of meat or poultry. For all we know about this particular grill, it may have been a one of a kind order placed in 1969 for a guy in a place like Mason City, IA or Casper, WY or somewhere in the Midwest, or maybe down South. I would love to have seen some other "custom" kettles that Weber made that year, if any exist. Just imagine an avocado kettle with sunflowers painted on the lid, or a special white kettle with spades, clubs, diamonds, and hearts on it.  :D The "playing cards" kettle could be a red-fade to snow-white and back to red. Similar to the Westerner fade. That would have been cool!

Craig

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »
It almost looks like the artwork of the chicken an cows are painted red in the shapes of the different cuts of meat or poultry.

Craig
That's why I call it "The Meat Grill". ;)

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 07:38:10 AM »
The key is Reillyranch getting good scans.  If he can get good scans then whoever gets them can post them .  Posting is easy, I'm sure Troy can do something....
Posting images in a thread may not be the best solution. There are typically limits to image size to prevent excess usage of storage space on a site as well as keeping page load time reasonable. I would want images big enough to easily read the text. Package them in a PDF that can be downloaded and that may be easier to achieve. It is easy to store the download locally so you don't use bandwidth every time you want to look at it (probably more a concern for the site then the user.)

I take it ReillyRanch is not local to the Chicago area. I have a decent scanner and would offer to help with that.
kettles, smokers...

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 08:12:07 AM »
A while ago, way before WKC came into being, I sent someone at TVWBB the scans of 73,72,64,63 catalogs.  I went to office max and had them put it in a PDF files onto a flash drive.  I pit the flash drive in the mail and a few days later they posted it on their site. It was still there last time I checked. 

The Finkfarm here has offered to do the same.  I just have to gather them up and bring them back to Office Max.  I think I will get a few CD's made to and can send them to whoever is interested. 

It would be cool to get copies of all available catalogs into one place. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:15:49 AM by reillyranch »

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
Vintage Kettle Questions
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 02:48:48 AM »
During our Christmas family dinner last year I showed the timeline to my dad and he lit up and said, "hey I used to have that one!"  He points at the custom. He shows it to mom and she's like, "yeah I remember that old thing, we threw it out.."  Happy Friday everyone!!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 03:11:49 AM »
Neat story.  Just a matter of time until one shows up.  Spring cleaning is right around the corner.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »
The key is Reillyranch getting good scans.  If he can get good scans then whoever gets them can post them .  Posting is easy, I'm sure Troy can do something....
Posting images in a thread may not be the best solution. There are typically limits to image size to prevent excess usage of storage space on a site as well as keeping page load time reasonable. I would want images big enough to easily read the text. Package them in a PDF that can be downloaded and that may be easier to achieve. It is easy to store the download locally so you don't use bandwidth every time you want to look at it (probably more a concern for the site then the user.)

I take it ReillyRanch is not local to the Chicago area. I have a decent scanner and would offer to help with that.

I never said anything about putting them in a thread.....

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »

"I never said anything about putting them in a thread....."

Might as well.....

In addition to our own little individual covert activities / small group excursions / general perving
& the like, we're ALSO preserving American ( & obviously other countries' ) history.......

I've identified & saved off about 25 threads that go in-depth into figuring out the jigsaw puzzle that is Weber history.....some are about cleaning & restoration, also
Just waiting to see how we could proceed in deciphering fact from fiction & creating a truthful account..........

WKC, it's not just a job....It's an adventure !!!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 07:06:05 PM »
I'm not saying I have an issue with it, anyone can post anything they like....It would prob just be better in a PDF format or something...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 07:17:02 PM »

I'm good with however, as long as the stuff gets preserved....the best way that could be shared around is all that much better !!!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 07:26:57 PM »
How do you attach a PDF to the site?
And how come no one is doing it yet?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
"Don't worry, I'm still 4 or 5 kettles away from being  That creepy guy down the street with all the Webers"

That would be a great tag for Buckie! ;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »

Already using it on Smoke Ring....

Thanks for the thought !!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 07:40:22 PM »
How do you attach a PDF to the site?
And how come no one is doing it yet?

I think there's an easy way to post it as a retrievable
 link, but I'm not savvy enough to tell you how it works........