Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey Breast Questions  (Read 3909 times)

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Turkey Breast Questions
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:28:16 AM »
Was going to use my smoker this year, but after thinking about it..what the heck..figured I would use one of my kettles...why not I figure. Now to my questions..

I am going out of town for Thanksgiving this year. My parents do this elaborate cook so I am only tasked with bringing a turkey breast. I picked up a couple of 6lb boneless ones and have one thawing in the fridge for a "test" cook this weekend. So my questions..I plan on brining it and injecting it. Normally I bring with just brown sugar, salt and whichever rub I was using. Anyone have a really good brine recipe? I know there are tons on the innerwebs, but just curious if anyone is in love with theirs that they want to share. My family likes flavor, but not heat so my rubs have always been on the "sweet" side. I was thinking of adding some apple juice or cider to the brine to add that flavor, but not sure on what else. I am going to inject it with creole butter. My other question...and its the one I am really not sure about is transporting. My parents are a little under 2 hours away and I need to cook this and then travel with it. My plans are to cook it at about 325-350 and get some crispy skin, just afraid if I wrap it for the drive, the skin will become soggy or rubbery. What do you guys this? I guess I could always remove the skin, but that is one of my favorite parts..

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Re: Turkey Breast Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 02:24:42 AM »
Is there a reason you can't bring a kettle with you, get there a couple hours early, and cook the turkey breast at their house?    You're correct that turkey is best served after a short rest.  In my opinion, a 2+hr "rest" may be a bit much for poultry.

You could even pick up a CL cheapie kettle and leave it there for next year's cook! 
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:24:37 AM »
Cooking it there would be ideal, but I am already trying to figure out how I can get everything there (read kids and all their crap) as it is. I am trying to do a test cook this weekend so I know how long it will take so I at least have that information.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »
Smokin' Okie's Holiday turkey brine is on this page.....very highly recommended by tons of folks......
along with a bunch of other great general info.....

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokin-Okies-101-Series/Turkey-101

Take into consideration that brine OR injection, either one may be enough......using both might be a little over the top ..........not trying to pop any bubbles or stunt experimentation, just a thought....

For transporting along with toys etc......do you have one you can break all the way down, like leg removal & such.....might take up less space that way?

Or, a Smokey Joe to crisp up your skin on site?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »
Thanks for the information...Normally I don't brine AND inject, but the injection is creole butter ;-)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
"but the injection is creole butter ;-)"

I drink that stuff with little umbrellas in the glass........drive on !!!!!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »

It's that good, eh? (Never tried it)

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »

It's that good, eh? (Never tried it)

@saxart

Yep.....you bet!!!!!

.....if you were to squeeze this half cut out breast piece, it would dump juices all over.....
(and this one was overdone by 10~15 degrees)

Takes ordinary semi-bland turkey (it's normal flavor is just so subtle, by most folks account) & sends it up the flagpole !!

Like a loose liquid butter, with various spice blends added.....this is one of two brands ordinarily found in stores, the other being "Cajun Injector" brand (glass bottle)......they are in the "ethnic" aisle & sometimes can also be found @ the larger sporting goods places that have game meat smoking / brining supplies.....

Both come w/ an inexpensive injector strapped to the bottle..........

jerr7

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »
Here is what I been doing for long time and comes out perfect.A Lot here feel cause you get a turkey Breast ot full bird that's previously brine like 8% solution you can't brine.Well  just cut back on salt and I use the apple brine for my turkeys and they always come out great. So just go on the side of less salt . I use other herbs and flavoring . Youll be happy IMOHO. Also injecting is good and again just ease back on any salt in your brine.Good luck
jerry
Weber 22in Touch,Kamado Joe Classic
weber 18 in  kettle
weber Q 10

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 08:32:39 AM »
I did a test run of a 4.9 LB breast this weekend. Wide Open Throttle on the 22.5 and it took 1 hour 33 minutes. It was a bone in and turned out awesome!! Wife said it was the best turkey she had ever had. temp was around 400ish at the lid. I think I figured out a way to take a kettle down and will just be cooking the one for Thanksgiving down at my parents. I have not tried the Honey Bacon and BBQ injection..I picked one up, but have not tried it yet. How is the flavor?