Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: '95 Performer - Gas Assist Troubles  (Read 5878 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
'95 Performer - Gas Assist Troubles
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:59:09 AM »
I've been having trouble keeping the gas assist going. Took everything apart today, and it all seems clean, but the burner won't stay lit. Called Weber, and ended up ordering a new regulator and burner tube, but I'll keep the old bits in case another oldie comes my way, and I can figure out how to rehab the old parts. I'll have to find/buy a new-style 5lb tank, or find room for an extra 20 I have laying around.

I have noticed that it will stay lit better (not perfect) inside the garage (away from the wind, and only tried this for a few minutes Mr. Fire Chief sir) but when I wheel it out into the open it will sputter out after only a few seconds. So is wind the culprit with these things? I'm thinking not since I used it last year and never had an issue.

The Kettle Club's expert kouncil is much appreciated.

Marty

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: '95 Performer - Gas Assist Troubles
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »
Well...do you know for sure that your propane tank isn't low?  If that's ok, I've seen a similar problem like this solved by replacing the regulator.  Make sure on your old regulator that the valve is open all the way.  There should be a little arm to turn open or closed.  This valve is usually right after the regulator itself (towards the bowl of the grill).  Your regulator may not be allowing a full flow of propane to the ignitor.  When you wheel it outside, a small breeze may be enough to blow it out.  It sounds like you've already made sure the burner tube wasn't clogged up with spider nests or any other sort of build up to inhibit flow.  If its not your propane tank, I bet its the regulator.  Good luck
Kettle collector AND cooker!

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:47:31 PM »
It could be the OPD (overflow protection device).  A popular issue LP gas owners call about.  That and paint peeling from the inside of the lid (which is actually accumulated soot, porcelain can't peel). 

The OPD is in the LP tank and will limit the gas flow 85%-90% when activated. It produces a small weak flame that is easily extinguished.   The OPD is for leaks but can be tripped by any sudden rush of gas out of the tank.  Often cold weather will cause a change of pressure in the tank, the LP will condense at the bottom and when you open the valve the gas rushes out, tripping the OPD. 

To reset the OPD disconnect the LP tank, wait a minute, reconnect the tank to the hose/regulator and slowly open the tank, 1/4 turn at a time.  Then on cold days, open the valve slowly when lighting.     

That might help.

timleo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »
I had a similar problem with a red ss performer a couple of years ago.  I ended up changing out the regulator and everything was better after that.  After changing the regulator the flame was like an inferno compared to before I changed the regulator.

Good luck!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »
Marty if you want to make a trade for those extra parts let me know....

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
Got the parts today, (thanks to Weber's speedy delivery that I didn't have to pay extra for!) and it made all the difference in the world. Never knew what a strong flame was! This will make firing up the Performer a real treat. Sent Brian the old parts, and some Hawaiian Koa wood for new handles. Can't wait to break it in all over again.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:40:01 AM »
KOA??

Oh, you are killing me!
One of the charcoal people.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »
Picked some up on our Honeymoon 12 years ago on Kauai. Made a flower press and a couple barrettes for my wife. A couple months ago my nephew was stacking some firewood for me, and I noticed he had "found" this old board, hacked in in half and hammered it into the ground to support the log pile. It was one of the Koa boards I've been hoarding. I was not happy. I nearly hammered him into the ground! Fast forward to today, and the remnants are on their way to Brian.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:59:28 AM by zavod44 »

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 04:57:55 AM »
Merry Christmas to my Performer - the new burner assembly is just your size, and your new tank is full and ready to go. Strip Steaks for dinner tonight! Hope everyone has a nice day with a little smoke in it!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:58:58 AM »
I got the stuff Marty, thanks. Now I hope to put gas in the other grill in Mesa Azul.  I'm so excited.  I suppose I'll need to replace that regulator.  I know Jeff had found one at Menards.  I'll have to go there and see what I can find...

Brian

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
Marty, I didn't think that Red Performer could get any more beautiful, but now you've gone and done it!  Merry Christmas to both of you.
One of the charcoal people.

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 05:10:29 PM »
Koa.. wow whats the curl grade? I CAN'T WAIT to see those handles!!!!
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »
I would like to see some handles made from Gaboon Ebony with pearl inlay ("Motley Q") or maybe some Black & White Ebony handles..... yep I'm dreaming :o

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »
I would like to see some handles made from Gaboon Ebony with pearl inlay ("Motley Q") or maybe some Black & White Ebony handles..... yep I'm dreaming :o

I don't know if you ever tried to price ebony of any kind but if you want that on a handles they will cost minimum $60.  If your interested let me know...

Brian

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »

I don't know if you ever tried to price ebony of any kind but if you want that on a handles they will cost minimum $60.  If your interested let me know...

Brian

When you say "if you want that on a handles" are you referring to the pearl inlay or the custom engraving? And ya I priced both there is no way I could do the gaboon but the black & white isn't to bad.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:26:42 PM by bob hope »