Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: first marinated Beef Jerky cook  (Read 3441 times)

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
first marinated Beef Jerky cook
« on: November 14, 2014, 02:19:07 PM »
So last winter Hoss and I had some success making jerky on the kettle. Since beef went on sale today I grabbed two 4lb red grill outside round chunks to trim and cut up for jerky. My favorite jerky is at a local weekend market and goes for $20/lb so I figured its to my benefit to start trying to replicate that flavor on my own now that I have the kettle and WSM. This jerky has a peppery sweet heat going on and the flavor intensifies as you chew from the marination process. As Hoss prefers a dry rub and glazed finish on his jerky im kind of taking a shot in the dark on this one but I thought I'd share with the board as I go....

Free Image Hosting
I trimmed off the fat and sliced it up before putting it in a ziplock bag filled with:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup saracha hot sauce
3 tbs maple sugar
3 tbs montreal steak spice
1 tbs black pepper
1/2 tbs paprika
1/2 tbs onion powder
1/2 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs moonshine bbq sauce
1/4 cup of water
and a pinch of chipotle powder.

Free Image Hosting
now into the fridge for 20 hours before being patted dry and loaded on the wsm. Will update as I go.
Suggestions welcome as this is my first marinated jerky attempt. I see some recipes saying 4 to 6 hours max on the marinade while others are 3-4 days so I feel 20 hours will let me know for next time if the meat needs more or less time. I only cut up one of the two slabs for this weekend in case I totally screw this up.

20 hours later......

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting  patted dry before placing on two racks.

Free Image Hosting foiled the empty water pan.

Free Image Hosting small snake with some leftover coals from my last cook. with 2 pieces of pecan and one piece of white oak.

Free Image Hosting ring loaded and its been going for around 20 minutes. more pics as I go....

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting
Happy with the smoke flavor so I pulled them off after 3 hours on the WSM. Now into the oven on cooling racks for 4-6 hours (im hoping. may be longer)
after 6 hours on cooling racks in the over at 175 some of the smaller pieces are done. the rest are being left for another hour or so.

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting
I accomplished the sweet heat I was looking for. next time i wont add the water as the saltiness wasn't an issue which i had feared. No more expensive jerky from the market for me
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:27:26 PM by AcrossFromHoss »
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

Golly

• WKC Performer
Re: first Beef Jerky cook
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
following with great interest
good luck wilson
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »
    ^^^
     +1 I have thought about doing this. Can't wait to see this process!

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »
Just went by to see Hoss he has 3 kettles of Jerky going and some wings. Should be a good day.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: first marinated Beef Jerky cook
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »
That's the way to make a Weber better....use it.  My jerky is in the oven now and the whole house is smelling like bbq beef.  Bloody beauty.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 05:54:38 PM »
That's the way to make a Weber better....use it.  My jerky is in the oven now and the whole house is smelling like bbq beef.  Bloody beauty.

Look forward to a sample :)
wings were great. I still prefer your buttermilk bath but that molasses brine was delicious!!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 01:50:02 AM »
Ok Jerky is now on the short list for sure! Nice work guys!

Have either of you tried making pork jerky?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »

@SixZeroFour

I thought that was called "Canadian Bacon" ?

No?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 09:04:17 AM »

@SixZeroFour

I thought that was called "Canadian Bacon" ?

No?

No.  Canadian Bacon or peameal bacon or back bacon is a different thing.

Raw:

Cooked:

It is usually fried in a pan or bbq'd.

From wikemedia:

"Peameal bacon (also known as cornmeal bacon) is a type of bacon originating in Toronto, Canada. The name reflects the historic practice of rolling the cured and trimmed boneless loin in dried and ground yellow peas, originally for preservation reasons. Since the war years,[when?] it has been rolled in ground yellow cornmeal. It is low in fat, and slow cured
Bacon made of pork belly instead of the loin is not as lean. Peameal bacon is made from boneless pork loins, short cut from the leaner portions of the loin, to ensure a more uniform product. External fat is generally trimmed to within 1/8 inch (3 mm). Smokeless and tender, this product is sweet pickle-cured and rolled in a traditional golden cornmeal coating.
Peameal bacon sandwiches are often considered to be a signature dish of Toronto, with the most famous vendors located at St. Lawrence Market."

I often take a whole round of it, smoke it to an internal of 140f or so, pull it and fry it off in pieces over the next few days.  It makes for a killer Eggs Benedict.

Actual pork jerky is often made with lean pork cubes sometimes brined with Asian spices and usually not dried out as much as beef.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 09:27:35 AM »
That was my feeble attempt at a "Canadian Joke"......... :o

Suppose you could smoke it down into a sort of soft jerky-like finished product after the cure?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 02:40:18 PM »

Free Image Hosting

problem with making jerky is that pile is long gone and a lot of the rest is spoken for. Think i'll quietly make the next batch Tuesday. Sharing jerky pics on facebook before its all gone was a bad idea!!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »
@1buckie Canadian/Peameal bacon is amazing! :D ... And I bet that jerky is too! Looks great AFH.

As for Pork Jerky, Costco sells "Korean BBQ Pork Jerky" that is pretty damn amazing in my opinion. (For store bought) Would love to figure that recipe out!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:37:34 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
Great results!!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 07:10:29 PM »