Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2 chickens and a pig  (Read 2493 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
2 chickens and a pig
« on: November 05, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »
Cooking for an event this weekend, decided to do some pulled pork sliders.  Additionally, I had some organic chickens in the fridge - might as well cook them up too since the smoker has some available real estate.

Pork butts with John Henry's sweet rib rub and O'Brien's WKC blend courtesy of @jamesnomore :

Wapiti gets the call.  For smoke, I used wine stave oak chunks from some projects I have been working on:

Speaking of wine staves - here is one of the projects.  Two chairs and a table built from Oak wine barrels I used recently for my daughters wedding.  They are super comfortable and give me and Mrs Winz a nice place to relax while the Wapiti is doing its thing.  Note that Mrs. Winz's chair has a built in wine glass holder in the arm:

The view from my chair.  I recently cut out a circle and added a pie tin on the table.  This provides a great place to start a chimney.

I started the cook at 5:00 PM.  As the sun started to set, we had some dinner guests - that is to say we had some guests feeding rather than we dined on our guests  :) [size=78%]:[/size]

Wapiti worked all night.  I got up around 5 am to check on things.  Looks like my sous chef decided to sleep in:

Rubbed the chickens with Butcher's BBQ honey rub - it is one of my favorites.  I put lots of rub and olive oil under the skin to ensure the rub penetrated the breast meat:

Chickens on the lower level, pork butts on top:

The payoff:  Smokey roasted chicken and delicious pulled pork!  I made myself a little chef's snack with some pulled pork on a Hawaiian sweet roll.

The pulled pork took about 16 hours on the smoker with an hour rest before pulling.  I wrapped the butts in foil for the resting period.  I don't think I will wrap them again - usually I just tent them with some foil which always leaves the bark drier.  By wrapping the meat, I think the pork might be a bit more moist, but the bark was too wet for my liking.  I sprinkled more rub on the meat before sealing it up.  The O'Brien WKC blend makes for great pulled pork sliders!

Winz
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 12:08:13 PM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
Re: 2 chickens and a pig
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »
WOW nice job on cooking and the pictures.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »
That's a great looking cook there Winz...Wish I had some of that pork right now, or a leg of that chicken mmmm

Is that a taller than normal charcoal ring in your mini conversion? Also, how many coal additions for 16 hours? That's a long time...
WTB: Genesis Jr.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »
Is that a taller than normal charcoal ring in your mini conversion? Also, how many coal additions for 16 hours? That's a long time...

Good eye!  The conversion is based on an 18.5 SJP, so its wider than the typical mini WSM.  It is roughly the same size as an 18.5 WSM. 

I had enough clearance to build a 6 inch high charcoal basket.  For a 16 hour burn, I had to reload with a full chimney of charcoal at the 12 hour mark.

Winz

dengland

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 03:19:17 PM »

Note that Mrs. Winz's chair has a built in wine glass holder in the arm:

Where is the beer stein holder on Mr. Winz chair?

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »
Where is the beer stein holder on Mr. Winz chair?
:) 

I had to build a whole side table for that!

Winz

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 03:49:05 PM »
Looks like some very fine food there Winz.  The colour on you chicken looks bang on.  Ever try wrapping butts in butchers paper?  I do it part way through the cook and leave it for the rest but you could try it after finishing the cook too.  I find it preserves bark better.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »
Winz, you're like the Renaissance Kettlist or something.....perfect chickens, perfect pork (well thought out planning, I might add), hand crafted easy chairs, unique, uncommon mods......what a guy !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

masonred

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »
NICE!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »
^^^What HE said.^^^
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »
Great cook and very nice view :)
I like that set too. I'm smoking 5 Butts and 7 chickens for a party this weekend :)