Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Creole Smoked Turkey  (Read 2897 times)

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
Creole Smoked Turkey
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:39:49 AM »
Creole Smoked Turkey
http://www.wolfepit.blogspot.com/2010/12/creole-smoked-turkey.html

I typically either brine or inject a brine when I smoke turkeys and they come out great.  But the same old turkey gets boring after awhile, so I kicked it up a notch and made an brine injection of Zataran's Creole Seasoning and water, no additional salt was needed. This turkey was for our work Christmas Party.

Brine Injection
1/2 Cup - Zataran's Creole Seasoning
4 cups - Cold water

Pumping all four cups of the brine into the bird.

I let it set in the fridge for a couple hours and then onto the smoker it went.

I had an audience.  Isn't it cool......looks like he has sunglasses on.

While the turkey was smoking I was taking advantage of Nature's fridge while enjoying a decent day out.

Five hours later, the bird is done.  No sliced pic's, it was sliced at work.  But the flavor and moisture was one of the best turkeys I've smoked.
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Creole Smoked Turkey
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
That looks like it would have just the right amount of kick to it...I've never smoked a turkey, but its one of the next things I want to put on the WSM.  What temp do you shoot for when you cooked that bird and do you recall the weight on it since it took 5 hours?

That snow looks refreshing with all the heat we've had lately.   I know it was Christmas...but where do you live Larry?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
Re: Creole Smoked Turkey
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 04:12:23 PM »
That looks like it would have just the right amount of kick to it...I've never smoked a turkey, but its one of the next things I want to put on the WSM.  What temp do you shoot for when you cooked that bird and do you recall the weight on it since it took 5 hours?

That snow looks refreshing with all the heat we've had lately.   I know it was Christmas...but where do you live Larry?

I generally smoke turkeys in the 245º-260º range, sometimes a little higher depending on the weather.

I live in Bealeton, Va., little to the North of Fredericksburg and South of DC. 
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot