Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: BBC on the JJ  (Read 1603 times)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
BBC on the JJ
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:24:33 PM »
Grilled up a beer can chicken on the JJ for dinner. Mashed potatoes and green beans for sides. The gravy for the mashed potatoes was made from the chicken drippings.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: BBC on the JJ
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:34:19 PM »
Nice lookin' cookup Nate.......really extra good pics, too!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
I agree with Buckie here - those pictures look beauty.  Looks like you nailed that chicken too.  Can you tell me a little about that door?  I see that and I can't help but start thinking.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »
Great work! Looks tasty!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:43:26 AM »
I agree with Buckie here - those pictures look beauty.  Looks like you nailed that chicken too.  Can you tell me a little about that door?  I see that and I can't help but start thinking.

I actually threw this thing together to make my JJ a dedicated pizza cooker where I'd cook the pizza in the dome. The door was to load wood and give the fire more O2. Now that I have a KP, it just acts as an extension to fit taller chunks of meat. Works great for BCC. The temp gauge on it is not working. I was actually cooking the bird at around 425 degrees.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 05:51:11 AM »
re: pizzas
So is the cooking grate right about where the thermometer is (just below it)? I couldn't make my stock JJ work well for pizzas because I couldn't raise the pizza high enough to take advantage of the shallow lid, so it remained too close to the JJ's coals.

Now, my regular 18.5" is another thing altogether, affording both more distance from coals and the ability to raise the stone up from the grate, something I couldn't do on the JJ because its cooking grate is higher in the bowl.

Sorry for the thread jack; that chicken looks amaze.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 06:19:31 AM »
Great cook on the BBC. Love the mod extension.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 06:55:57 PM »
re: pizzas
So is the cooking grate right about where the thermometer is (just below it)? I couldn't make my stock JJ work well for pizzas because I couldn't raise the pizza high enough to take advantage of the shallow lid, so it remained too close to the JJ's coals.

Now, my regular 18.5" is another thing altogether, affording both more distance from coals and the ability to raise the stone up from the grate, something I couldn't do on the JJ because its cooking grate is higher in the bowl.

Sorry for the thread jack; that chicken looks amaze.

I actually only did one pizza cook on it before I found the KP on groupon at a price I'd pay. I set it up with the grate and stone at the top of the extension. Pizza turned out ok but could have been a lot better. From this I had another idea to mod the extension but didnt happen because of the new KP. What I was going to do was flip the extension over and widen the opening in the side so I could slide the pizza in. This would get the pizza further away from the fire but get it fairly close to the heat that's at lid level.

Check this out for cooking pizza on a JJ with a KP.  http://www.weberjumbojoe.com/kettle-pizza-for-the-weber-jumbo-joe/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:59:26 PM by Nate »

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »
Great looking bird!!