Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What is the kettle diameter tolerance? How to fix out of round?  (Read 6157 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
What is the kettle diameter tolerance? How to fix out of round?
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »
I've got two SS Performers.

One of the lids fits great in all orientations.  The lid spins freely on the bowl.

The second one the lids fits one way, but turn it 90 degrees and it is tight or even doesn't fit on. The lid does not spin on the bowl.

I measured the bad one:
Bowl (to the outside of the round edge) is: 22 7/8 x 22 7/16.  Nearly a 1/2" out of round.
Lid (to the outside of the outside lip) is:23 1/8 x 22 13/16.  5/16" out of round

I measured the good one.  I should add that it snuffs the coals well.  It feels perfect.:
Bowl: 22 3/4 x 22 11/16.  Virtually Round
Lid: 22 15/16 x 23 3/16.  1/4" out of round

What should these dimensions be?  I was surprised to see my lid was not perfectly round on the good grill.  Maybe it was at one point...  I'd expect these to have a tolerance tighter than 1/4".

How many grills are within 1/8" for both lid and bowl?

Is there a tolerance that is considered within spec?

Is there a way to fix out of roundness (lid and bowl), to bring them closer to round so that they fit better?

Is the porcelain finish susceptible to cracking or damage with reshaping efforts of the bowl and lid?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:02:37 PM by ClubChapin »

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: What is the kettle diameter tolerance? How to fix out of round?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »
If you search this forum for "bear hug" you will find your answer!
The short answer is to carefully squeeze the lid or bowl in your arms until it is round again.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:47:12 PM »
JC is right-- I've never made notes of exact measurements, but I've tweaked a few lids back into round.  Flip the lid upside down, hold it against your sternum along the longest measurement, and give it a gentle squeeze.

I think in the case of SS Perfomers, a frame that is racked will sometimes pull a bowl out of alignment as well.  You might loosen the bolts on your bowl and see if the bowl returns to round, or can be persuaded to do so.  Then check the measurements again when it's mounted in the frame. 
One of the charcoal people.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »
Thanks.  Will look up Bear Hug and give this a try.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:37:01 PM »
Yes, hugging your weber makes it happy- and round. See my sig. :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:50:32 PM »
How much hug do you apply?  Do you hug it to where you want it to end up, or do you hug beyond as it will spring back?

How long do you hold the hug?

Here's shots of my hug.  I've hugged it so that the short dimension is beyond where I need it to be, about where the other dimension was.  I presume there will be some spring back.

Will hold it this way for a week or two.

This seemed like a gentle way to apply pressure.  Squeezed them gradually.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 11:14:07 PM »
since you have the clamps - how about you figure out the springback and oversqueeze required to get it perfect!

you'll be the hero! =D

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
since you have the clamps - how about you figure out the springback and oversqueeze required to get it perfect!

you'll be the hero! =D

I'll report back.  Starting with a week or two of squeezing it the other way, until the short dimension has the length of the long dimension.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 11:19:56 PM »
nooo i can't wait 2 weeks. :P

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »
nooo i can't wait 2 weeks. :P

That wasn't too bad was it?

Well, after two weeks, they sprung back to about where they started.  Maybe a little improved, but still out of round.

I've clamped them the again, just a little more than before and will let them sit for a while again.

I did notice a cracking sound as I started to tighten them.  I backed off a little when I heard this.

I presume this is a non-flexible porcelain coating vocalizing its displeasure with flexing.  How bad is it to hear this sound?  I didn't see any visual signs of distress.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:19:21 PM by ClubChapin »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 07:18:13 PM »
 :o
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:21:27 PM by ClubChapin »

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 07:43:36 PM »
I just give em a good squeeze until it seems right.  Clamps?  For a couple weeks?  As good a method as any I guess....I just don't have that kind of patience.  Wish I did.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »
I just give em a good squeeze until it seems right.  Clamps?  For a couple weeks?  As good a method as any I guess....I just don't have that kind of patience.  Wish I did.

How much do you squeeze?  Do you hear cracking?

Two weeks was easy, as I was travelling.  Also, this is not my only grill, I have two others to cook with.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 08:41:27 PM »
"I presume this is a non-flexible porcelain coating vocalizing its displeasure with flexing."

Metal, esp. coated metal, is not like applying pressure to say, wet wood to then get a finished curve for furniture or something.....

Bowing a lid back into round should take maybe 3 minutes, tops....most of which is figuring out which direction to bend......once bowed, it stays.......

I did the 1961 Fleetwood 26" in a minute or two & it shuts down perfectly now.....

Put one side against your belly, hold the opposite side with two hands at 11 o'clock & 1 o'clock & give little short pulls / squeezes, gently......should then not spring back........the clamps are merely holding the spring in place until they let go & then spring-loaded metal does what spring-loaded metal does...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 08:12:09 PM »
Well, after two weeks, they sprung back to about where they started.  Maybe a little improved, but still out of round.

I've clamped them the again, just a little more than before and will let them sit for a while again.

Checked them again.  Both are improved.  Not there yet, but headed in the right direction.  Will let them sit another week or so.