Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How best to setup 3 full rib (beef) racks, smoked low and slow?  (Read 1887 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
How best to setup 3 full rib (beef) racks, smoked low and slow?
« on: October 18, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »
My machines include (1) 22.5" kettle, (1) 18.5" WSM. I also have a 6469 rack (so, 5 slots) if that helps. http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6469-Original-Roast-Holder/dp/B005LR6Z56 I'd be borrowing a neighbor's ET-732 for one of the two machines and flying more or less blind on the other unless I position the machines closely and estimate the temp difference on one of the WSM grates, while using one probe on the other. I have both lump and hardwood briquets.

I'm envisioning using the kettle for one of the racks, cut in half or thirds, and the WSM for the other two rib racks, also cut in half or thirds on each of the WSM's two grills. Maybe use the 6469 rack for the kettle, with more frequent rotations, since the meat would be closer to the heat there? Or is the 6469 rack not beneficial anywhere?

On the other hand I can pick up an additional rack or two of some kind if that allows all the meat to be done on the WSM.

The cook is tomorrow but I have an additional challenge, I've never used the WSM before (been readin', though ...) and need to take a wire brush or something to its rusty grates.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How best to setup 3 full rib (beef) racks, smoked low and slow?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:25:01 PM »
Hey thanks for your help everyone!

Okay ... just to follow up :

3 beef racks each almost 20 inches long. I cut them in half and each grate held 3 halves.

I used Jocool's recipe: Himalayan pink salt, coarse ground black pepper, cardamon.

I started the WSM with too many lit coals, hardwood briquettes over lump. Filled a small Weber chimney. 3rd party (BBQ Chef?) lid thermo said 350 for an hour even with bottom vents closed. Damn.

I removed half the charcoal. It was the only way I could reduce the heat. Placed them into my SJ and closed up the SJ.

Meat went on a good 2 hrs after I'd started futzing with everything. At the 2 hr mark I pulled and foiled them and put them back on and added the rest of the charcoal I'd taken off, still hot. 2 hrs later I ripped away the foil and put them back on.

Total cook was almost 6 hrs. Got raves although I didn't think it was anything super fantastic. Some of the beef had some pink, so I know it wasn't overdone. Meat pulled away from the bone easily.

Along the way I faked some oven potatoes: bought a bag of baby red and boiled them for 30 mins. Put them in a large Pyrex type dish and smothered with butter/garlic/parsley+Parmesan cheese. Broiled in oven for 15 mins.

This was part of a dish with neighbors. They made an awesome baked bean thing with charise sausage, brown bread and white bread. (New England / Portuguese) (The breads weren't in the baked beans.)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:27:44 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:08:47 PM »
I'm sure they turned out well, ATS. Three rib racks on a 22.5" is just past the point of getting them to fit flat. Next time you can use a second grate and elevate one of the racks above the other two grates if you need some additional room for no additional $$. I've seen people lift up the grate with  bricks, charcoal basket, tin cans, baking pans, you name it. Got any pics of your completed cook?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »
And this was 3 rib racks on a 18.5" WSM, not a 22.5". Fit perfectly flat as described above (cutting each in half). Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.

Good ideas about adding another grate. Sorry, took no food pix. For a heat shield I laid one firebrick flat on the supporting surface and placed an old twist-type ash tray from my dad's 18.5" kettle on top of the brick.