Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bourbon, Whiskey, and Scotch  (Read 23606 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Bourbon, Whiskey, and Scotch
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:19:20 PM »
After seeing Jim's post about his Jack Daniels 18" score....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-first-collectible(for-me-anyway)/

I thought it would be neat to have a place where we could discuss some great beverages.  Yes, I know the difference between Bourbon, Whiskey, and Scotch, but I don't think we're going to have a thread for each, so this will have to suffice.  (Yes, I know some folks feel that any comparisons between these beverages is blasphemy.   Get over it..  LOL)   ;D

I'll start by posting my current favorite.   Bulleit Bourbon.   Nice price, great flavor.  Not "THE BEST", but certainly no slouch. 
(Image stolen from the inter-web)   ::)

What's your favorite of these three?   I hope to learn more about these great drinks!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bourbon, Whiskey, and Scotch
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:24:48 PM »
Kind of partial to this right now:

And

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
Jim Beam Black Label. Decent at a good price point for me.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 06:49:29 PM »
aside from the high dollar johnny walker stuff, my favorite whiskey is Jameson followed by bushmill and cutty sark. for a mixed drink/cocktail, I'm partial to a "perfect rob roy".

edited to add-while not a whiskey drink, my favorite cocktail is a dirty martini
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:51:10 PM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 06:57:51 PM »
I was a Jack Daniels drinker back when I drank. I would take it any way. Straight up, on rocks, with coke. I haven't had a drink in over 5 years.
I was a rep for Johnny Walker at a point in my life, that is some good stuff, had my fair share of blue label and gold label. As good as that was(and free), I always ended up back on Jack.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 07:51:22 PM »
Wait Art, your form WI? I thought it was Windsor or Canadian Club on that side of the river...
The only brown liquor I have on the rocks is Crown Royal, not bad.

edited to add-while not a whiskey drink, my favorite cocktail is a dirty martini

Me too Mr. Bill, but lightly dirty.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »
I like whiskey but my wife is a whiskey fiend, lol. She was the the acting "president" of her old company's whiskey club where she was tasked with buying bottles for consumption every week. We have 60-70 bottles at home from around the world but some of my go-to's are Hibiki 12y, Macallan 12y, & Woodford Reserve. They're stored next to a few kettles 8)

Bulliet is quite good- our local Costco has handles of the Bourbon and Rye for $35. Does yours? I read somewhere that SF consumes 30% of Bulleit production or something. It's a bar staple around here.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:19:55 PM »

Where I live these are the best values for the money.  And they taste very very good.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 02:18:37 AM »
Bulliet is quite good- our local Costco has handles of the Bourbon and Rye for $35. Does yours? I read somewhere that SF consumes 30% of Bulleit production or something. It's a bar staple around here.

Gummi-
I'm not sure about our local Costco's prices.  The nearest one is a good drive away, so I don't bother to check.

Interesting about SF's Bulleit consumption.   Ironically, it was a family member who lives in SF that first introduced me to the beverage a few years back.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

dengland

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 02:50:33 AM »
While I'm not much of a drinker anymore I still enjoy a snort or two of Gentleman Jack on a cold winter night.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 04:24:08 AM »
For scotch I quite like Macallan 12yr clean. Can't afford to try their 18 ... Most anything else I've tried (which admittedly isn't much) in the lower price ranges isn't as smooth and for me, requires on the rocks or better yet, just punt and drink a good beer. But you have to discover what type you like. That determines "what's good." Lowlands, Highlands, Speyside etc.

I also like some Kentucky bourbon, and in my opinion Redemption is a bargain. Either the straight rye or the high rye although of course they are very different.

I'll have to try some of the others mentioned here.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 07:25:06 AM »
Am I the only Crown Royal man here?

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »
Gentlemen Jack is much smoother than black label Jack. Single Barrel is better than both.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

dengland

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 01:18:50 PM »
I may have to give Square Barrel a shot.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »
I go between Crown Royal, Crown Royal Black. When I want a little more kick and I am in a sipping mood I go for Wild Turkey 101, I have bottle of 101, Rare Breed and Russell's reserve 10yr. I know not any high dollar but I like them.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.