Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: wahoo fish  (Read 4956 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
wahoo fish
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:11:12 AM »
I have a client who is a boat captain, and he is giving me a couple of fillets today from a Wahoo he caught yesterday.  Talk about fresh!

Anyone ever cooked wahoo fillets and can give me a good seasoning and tips on how to cook it on a weber?

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: wahoo fish
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:42:35 AM »
Not native to our area, looks like a good eater though.
Found this site, simple recipe here.
http://www.kwseafood.com/recipes/how-to-cook-wahoo

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »
That's a good fixup Greg found.....nice white fish, just don't overcook like most any fish.....
Wahoos are crazy fish.....I've never been, but had friends who went out for them.....WAHOO!!!! is what they said.............. ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »
Thanks, Greg!  Looks pretty straightforward.  My only worry is the fish sticking.  I guess I can coat the grate with some olive oil.

Will definitely take pics...and will even post them if I don't mess up too bad!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
Wahoo is excellent on the grill, tasty fish for sure!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 09:26:20 AM »
namtrag, I would just brush on a little more EVOO to your Wahoo, before placing in the grill.
Is the skin on or is removed?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 09:49:47 AM »
look back at the recipe (yeah, I know, I don't like to follow them either)

"Wrap fish in aluminum foil. Bake for 1/2 hour in oven Weber preheated to 350 degrees F"

some people just lay the fish on a sheet of foil & that works fine...more grill flavor, less mess

If youi decide to go right on the grate just LOOK at which direction it's placed in relation to the grate bars so you have an easier time scooping it off when done.........

For more of a baking style, I've had good luck starting off wrapped, then opening to vent & smoke A LITTLE BIT with white fish

It takes on smoke like a bandit, so if you do at all, go very lite............

@Jason Beach   how do you set up?

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »
At least there are two versions, bake or direct. so their options. I am just not familiar with the fish to know how it will react on the grates.
There direct recipe over the coals for 15 minutes seems a little long to me.
What I do with fresh fish here, is put it a cold salt brine for a while. Firms the fish, without disrupting the flavor.
Then proceed with there marinade.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 10:14:33 AM »

When I grill fish, I usually cook it indirect, with the lid on, at pretty high heat. I will usually lightly coat with EVOO, fresh cracked pepper, a little sea salt and squeeze some lime juice on it while cooking. Serve it with some freshly made mango salsa! Dorado, Halibut, Wahoo and local White Seabass are my favorites prepared this way.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
Ah, for cross-cut steaks, grilled.....didn't see that Greg.....

'll stab gently all around w/ a fork & squeeze lemon juice all over....that firms the fish pretty good too....not quite sure why, but it works................

When I grill fish, I usually cook it indirect, with the lid on, at pretty high heat. I will usually lightly coat with EVOO, fresh cracked pepper, a little sea salt and squeeze some lime juice on it while cooking. Serve it with some freshly made mango salsa! Dorado, Halibut, Wahoo and local White Seabass are my favorites prepared this way.

Thanks !!!!

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »
Wow, great discussion and it looks like different techniques that can all work.

I would not have thought to cook indirect, as I thought searing was the way to go with lean fish.

All I have for smoking right now is apple, and I would think that would work pretty well.

The fish still has the skin on.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »
@1buckie  The acid from the Lemon actually starts to cook the meat. It is firming up, as the cooking process has begun.
Keep it going and you have I think they call it Sevichi? Limes are less aggressive, in the acid department.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »
I have grilled the steaks a few times. Similar to swordfish in texture - holds up well to grilling. I had cross-sectional steaks. Look at this link for some ideas.
http://www.great-grilling.com/wahoo-fishing.html

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »
Wow, great discussion and it looks like different techniques that can all work.

I would not have thought to cook indirect, as I thought searing was the way to go with lean fish.

All I have for smoking right now is apple, and I would think that would work pretty well.

The fish still has the skin on.

Skin still on, nice. I just did a salmon. EVOO for sure. Make sure to dry the fish good. EVOO and your spices. Go heavier with the salt "Skin Side". Hit the flesh side first on your hot grate, flip and finish with skin side down.

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 03:48:02 AM »
Two weeks late to the party here but living in coastal NC we have fresh fish frequently (say that three times fast).  While it may be heresy to suggest this here I've found, for me anyway, fish is easier done on gas.  Unless you're going to cook other stuff getting a kettle going for fish is a lot of time and energy for a short cook.  I usually tell people who ask about cooking fish is to estimate how long you think it's going to take and then cut that in half.

We have a Q100 that is perfect for fish.