Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: slowly getting ready for first cook on my weber  (Read 5165 times)

toddmog

• WKC Brave
Re: slowly getting ready for first cook on my weber
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
A little wood goes a long way on chicken.  I usually do one small chunk or a good handful of chips...apple wood compliments chicken well.  Be sure to post some pics of your cook!
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
I love apple smoke on poultry.  It's really nice on pork, too.

We went to the apple orchard this week, and while the kids were picking apples I was picking up branches from the ground.  Good stuff. 
One of the charcoal people.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 06:19:56 AM »
I went last night and got a bag of apple chips, some last minute supplies to clean with, and some Weber drip pans 7x12 I think they were.  Now I just have to hope the cleaning doesn't turn into a whole weekend ordeal!  I am kind of worried about the ash sweeper assembly and what I will see when I get under and look at the bowl from below.  I would probably not bother, except the sweepers are bent a little and won't function as intended as adjustable air intake vents if I don't fix that!

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 04:44:33 AM »
How did the chicken turn out? I was late getting your thread. Just a few thoughts with chicken - I like to use apple or cherry wood chips. I just sprinkle them directly on the coals and then put the lid on quick. If you wait too long they'll start burning quick. I usually only put the wood on one time because in my experience it's super easy to overdo it with the smoke flavor. Also, I almost always just make my own drip pan with foil. It's cheaper and if you're careful you can lift it out easily and pour off the juices if you need them for gravy or anything. If not, just let everything cool and ball the whole works up and throw it away.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »
It turned out great, Mark!  I used a few soaked apple chips about halfway in (maybe 4 on each side).  I got a pack of 10 Weber foil pans as a present for my birthday, so used those...no water in them though.  Here is what the finished product looked like, and the amount of smoke was just right according to my wife, who hates heavy smoke

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:51:14 AM by namtrag »

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 10:47:15 AM »
I'll take one of those halves. Bee-yoo-tee-full!!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »
SUCCESS!! I hope they tasted as good as they look!

Nice job namtrag 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
w0w!!

Looks grate!
One of the charcoal people.

eccj

• WKC Brave