Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: charcoal chimney  (Read 6007 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Re: charcoal chimney
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 09:18:10 AM »
Good points...in my situation, with just one kettle, and just starting out, I think I'm good with just the baskets for now.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »
Many here cook on more than one kettle at a time.  I frequently use the gas assist to start a chimney to use on my master touch or SJG or even UDS and then use the baskets with gas assist to cook on the performer.  Or sometimes I use the chimney with gas assist because I want to set my fire up differently from what the baskets allow.  It's much easier to dump a chimney than it is to dump the baskets.  The kettle is such a versatile cooker that there are many ways to use a chimney (or not).  It's really just a matter of what works best for you for any given cook.
i understand completely and i use more than one kettle as well.  i've actually used my Q to start charcoal a few times before grabbing a chimney.  (don't ask i can be a pro redneck in a pinch).

it's just that the TS only has a single kettle, and it's a gas assist performer.  he was asking about the chimney and i thought the answer was obvious for his situation.  but again, i suspected maybe there was something to it i was missing so i stayed quiet. 

no harm no foul here.   :D
I only use kettles with lid bales.

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »
We all know if he sticks around here, it won't be long before more kettles come along. :)  Might as well get a chimney too. Sorry...I'm an enabler. :)
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »
It also boils down to where you want your coals when you are cooking.  In a couple baskets or wherever you want to pile or spread them.  And if you are going to light them in the basket and dump them, why not just use the chimney.  But hey, to each their own.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »
It's like women and shoes. Isn't it, Todd?

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »
It's like women and shoes. Isn't it, Todd?

Worse!
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »

Sounds like I have several options!  I think I am going to like the gas assist

i always loved it, but the baskets (or no baskets at all) work much better than the chimney while using the gas assist.

I am new to the world of gas assist myself. When you say that lighting coals in the baskets is better than the chimney, are you including the new style sheet metal baskets or just the wire baskets?

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
I found this video....it's a little shaky, but shows how to light the charcoal in the newer style baskets

http://youtu.be/sNcIu-xNPkQ

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 05:38:22 PM »
That video points out why I don't use the baskets as lighting devices.  1) he ran his propane for 15 min.  With a chimney I run mine for 3-5 min and I am ready to cook in 15-20 min. 
2) he had to rotate the charcoal holders to get a even burn.  Chimney gives me a nice even burn naturally.  Heat rises.   But I'm sure there are many ways to get the coals light.  Whatever someone feels good doing.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 05:47:54 PM »
Aaagghhh, I'm so confused now! Lol.

As in, why even have the gas assist if you are using a chimney?

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 05:54:22 PM »

Don't have to mess with ash from paper.  Or don't have to use Weber cubes.  Gas assist also speeds up the process. 

Nothing to be confused about.  Put charcoal in chimney.  Put chimney over the gas assist burner.  Turn on burner.   Dump coals once ashed over.

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 06:07:53 PM »
Don't over think it.  Give the baskets a try.  If you like the way they work, great.  If not, spend $15 on the big Weber chimney.  I actually prefer the baskets when lighting lump.  I can arrange it in the baskets the way I want it and it's less likely to fall out.  I still only run the propane around 3-5 mins...if you center the baskets over the flame you get pretty even ignition. 

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »
I have gas assist,  both chimneys and the baskets but I usually use a weed burner :/
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 07:07:22 PM »

No gas assist here..................

198 Proof alcohol assist................. 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 09:09:36 PM »
That video points out why I don't use the baskets as lighting devices.  1) he ran his propane for 15 min.  With a chimney I run mine for 3-5 min and I am ready to cook in 15-20 min. 
2) he had to rotate the charcoal holders to get a even burn.  Chimney gives me a nice even burn naturally.  Heat rises.   But I'm sure there are many ways to get the coals light.  Whatever someone feels good doing.
Either his gas isn't working properly, or he's doing something wrong.

Gas and baskets should take five minutes.

Chimney vs baskets, which would be a fun blog... Chimney can produce a hotter load of fuel, but I doubt it's considerably faster than baskets.

Baskets and gas assist are a match made in heaven.  They're so versatile.
I want a performer again just so I can get the benefit of those baskets.