Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Ash Catcher Assembly For 2015  (Read 8272 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
New Ash Catcher Assembly For 2015
« on: September 09, 2014, 04:51:58 AM »
I spotted this while looking for ash catcher assemblies for a couple project kettles:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-65143-Catcher-Touch-Grills/dp/B00MMIKZWQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1410215516&sr=1-9&keywords=weber+ash+catcher

To my novice eyes there are a number of changes here.  Not sure what I think of it.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

Re: New Ash Catcher Assembly For 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »
Crazy! Circles swapped for oval cutouts, and I'd love to see how it locks into place as those hanger tabs are pretty small. Rain lip on the bottom edge? Looks nicely made!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:12:17 AM »
Crazy! Circles swapped for oval cutouts, and I'd love to see how it locks into place as those hanger tabs are pretty small. Rain lip on the bottom edge? Looks nicely made!
I noticed the small lock tabs my self, now i'll have to look at the one i just received.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:30:11 AM »
The ash bucket itself seems to have more rounded edges to it as well.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
It's the new "rolled edge" ring. now the old/current ones are "straight edge" rings and "flat cans"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:22:33 AM »
I do wonder how long it will be before the open ash pan era ends end all kettles go "gold". Wouldn't surprise me if this takes place before the end of the decade. Eventually trickling down to the SJ too.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:41:22 PM »
I'm hoping they wont get rid of it, mainly for the iconic brand recognition! I have a feeling it's more to do with having a budget entry level grill (less hardware) and then also offering the OTG as an upsell.

Long live the pan!

;)

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 01:33:43 PM »
From a cost perspective I don't think they will get rid of ash pan models.  To have a lost cost grill it's much lower priced to have a stamped pan and some clips vs a multiple part ash catcher assembly.

I think it's safe..😊

I love the smell of a evening cook...

Craig

• WKC Mod
New Ash Catcher Assembly For 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »
For the record, I'm not advocating it's demise. I'm still mad they went away from twist on pans. I'm just saying with all the "safety this and safety that" mentality these days, it makes sense. I could be wrong..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »
For the record, I'm not advocating it's demise. I'm still mad they went away from twist on pans. I'm just saying with all the "safety this and safety that" mentality these days, it makes sense. I could be wrong..

really?

I'm still pissed about the "U" slots and the twist hooks........that was the best !!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 03:51:04 PM »
I think safety has a bunch to do with their products.  I'm sure they have a center of gravity/ tip over spec they have to meet also.  Maybe that's why you don't see many more hanging accessories or accessories adding weight above the cooking grate.  Condiment tray, corntater ring, etc....my 2$

I love the smell of a evening cook...

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 12:54:20 PM »
Interesting changes, I wonder if these new pans are easier to get on and off.  Not that the current ones are hard but I do find SOMETIMES I have to fiddle a little bit to get it to find it's home.  I think I liked the rolled bottom on the pan itself. 

As far as them ever doing away with the open ash pan model, I highly doubt it.  Just going on what I see in the apartment complex I live in (which is a sample size of 1,000 - 1,300 apartments) I'd say EASILY three quarters of all the Webers I see here are the open ash pan ones.  The other 25% is almost entirely Golds, I think I've seen maybe 1 performer.   

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 07:28:54 AM »
It also looks like this is not a twist on bowl but a slide in and the handle locks into place.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 08:15:39 AM »
Pretty sure its a twist on.. Or a lift and twist..How would it slide on?  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 08:40:31 AM »
Pretty sure its a twist on.. Or a lift and twist..How would it slide on?  8)

Take a look at this shot from Amazon.   The two end pieces of the handle look as if they slide into the ring, then the handle is raised into position and clips into the ring.  I think the handle will have to be squeezed to engage or disengage the bowl.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold