Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Proper setup for good cooks???  (Read 6931 times)

toddmog

• WKC Brave
Re: Proper setup for good cooks???
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 07:01:57 AM »
So question... If I lay the metal thermometer end on the grill, it will read just the temperature of the grill? I've looked at several different wireless units and none of these specified grill temperature on the packaging! I even saw one unit on clearance for $12! The el cheapo digital meat thermometer I bought from WalMart works like a charm!

You can use wireless "meat probes" to take the temp at grate level.  In fact, Maverick units now come with universal probes instead of a stubby one for pit temps and a sharp one for meat...they are both sharp now.  You just need to keep it from directly touching the grate.  People have been known to stick the probe through half an onion or potato...or even a ball of foil.  Just make sure the tip is all the way through and that it's not touching the metal grate.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

RangerOne

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »
So question... If I lay the metal thermometer end on the grill, it will read just the temperature of the grill? I've looked at several different wireless units and none of these specified grill temperature on the packaging! I even saw one unit on clearance for $12! The el cheapo digital meat thermometer I bought from WalMart works like a charm!

If you look at my second pic with the ribs, just to the right you can see the grill probe. It is being held in place be a simple clip. This keeps it from moving around and touching things that can interfere with the proper reading. You want to know the air temperature in the kettle, not the temperature of anything the probe may be touching.
MY STUFF: Weber Performer Silver 22.5" + Smokenator 1000 + Maverick ET-732 + Maple Leaf Briquets

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 09:05:07 AM »
I bought a cheap oven thermometer that I'll use for the grill temp for now. I have a few bills that I have take care of before I feed my obsession (smoking & grilling!) I want to let everyone know that I really appreciate all of your assistance from the bottom of my heart! I'm about to do several big cooks, and I'll admit, I was intimidated & nervous. Now, not so much! I'm going to do my brisket this weekend, and I'll be doing a roasted chicken, and a spatchcocked chicken as well.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
Simple Fryer therm, adjust clip to grate level or rotate for the dome temp

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 06:51:56 AM »
Metal Mike, I like that! What did you use as your clip? The old fashioned oven thermometer on the grill grate worked fine, the only challenge was having to open the grill to see the temp!

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
Various cheap fryer therms have diff clips & lengths for the sides of fryer pots
I like this one except over time +much use, the tip gunks up & its less accurate (-20 F, needs cleaning)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »
Yep the thermometer will tell you what the temp is right on the grate, but as Buckie has said you do have to trust your setup more, but to check is but a quick lift of the lid.  I picked up a couple of them and they work grate.
I did three chickens on three kettles all set up with the snake method and all three were 300deg

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 05:41:11 AM »
I did the same thing last night Less coal yields a lower temp which is what I was shooting for! ;)

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 05:44:31 AM »
I put a layer of foil in my kettle a couple of weeks ago. It helps to regulate consistent temps, but there is no Seasoning as a result. Anyone else do this?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 05:51:58 AM »

Yep....................check out the setups by MacEggs I put up on the front page article.....he uses foil to great effect !!!!

http://weberkettleclub.com/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"