Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Papa Murphy's on the kettle  (Read 10114 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Papa Murphy's on the kettle
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:17:45 PM »
I wanted to cook on the Master-Touch tonight.  This is the first run on it since installing the new handles. 

I also wanted pizza.  I have never really done pizza on the grill, so I figured a good test run would be a "take and bake style" rather than from scratch.  It turns out, Papa Murphys has kid size pizzas (7 inch) for a low price.  In addition to the full sized pizzas that we cooked in the oven, I grabbed a few of these small pies to test on the grill.  They come with the dough rolled out on the paper tray, and the kids put the included sauce, cheese, and pepperoni on themselves when arriving home:

I arranged the charcoal in the same manner I do when indirect grilling anything else.  I banked the coals at the front of the grill in a crescent shape, and positioned the vent along the back.  In order to raise the pies away from the fire and toward the lid, I inverted another grill grate and placed it on top of the main grate:

Here is a (gratuitous handle) shot showing the thermometer at 425, which is the recommended oven baking temperature:

This is what they looked like as I took the first batch off after nearly 14 minutes.  As you can see, these are little pizzas and there was no danger of them burning the paper tray that you bake them on because they were so far from the coals.  You can also see where the coals were placed in this shot.  I used te baskets upside down to hold the coals in place, though I typically do not worry about that when grilling indirect.

Finished product is below.  This was a total success, just like baking them in an oven at 425. I did turn them once midway through the cooking to ensure they were even.  I doubt that was needed. For what it is worth, I used K Blue and just a few bits of apple chips.  There was no smoke flavour to speak of, so I may introduce more chips or use actual wood chunks next time, but I want to be clear, I was not really shooting for "wood fired brick oven pizza"  I will also try a full sizer pie at some point as well, although the simplicity and fun of the kid size pizzas really was ideal and made it easy to cook evenly.  It would be a fun party idea to let folks build their own and cook them two or three at a time.

I know this is not as impressive as a home made dough and super high heat wood fired pizza, but I am glad to have tried it.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Papa Murphy's on the kettle
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 06:29:18 PM »
that's freaking awesome.

i've been wanting to try a papa murphy's pizza on the grill for years.

i like grilling frozen pizza

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »
Thanks Troy.  You have to try it.  I eat my fair share of frozen pizza, and I think Papa Murphys  is better for about the same price.   Next time I will definitely spruce up the pies with some custom ingredients.  I can not overstate how nice it was to not have to roll the dough, nor worry about a baking stone/baking sheet or dough sticking to the grill.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »
I'll stop by there this week and buy a couple!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »
I love PM's! ;D

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »
Papa Murphy's is literally around the corner from us..... And it does the job.   They have a good chicken Mediterranean pizza.   I have always wanted to try one on the grill.  I probably would have taken it off the little board for a while.   I like a really well done pizza. 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
"ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!"

Now that's hilarious!  ;D

BTW, I like a well done pizza too. :)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »
"ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!"

Now that's hilarious!  ;D

BTW, I like a well done pizza too. :)

Sumthin' wrong with that?   :P  :P  :P
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Vermin99

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »
Excellent looking pizzas!! We had Papa Murphy shops around but they faded pretty fast.

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 05:38:16 AM »
Nice pie's G!  I did the exact thing with Celeste pizzas when I started doing pizzas......when they were 10 for $10.  Nice work and beautiful grill!
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »
The handles are awesome....pizza looks good too   ;)

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »
replying to my own post.  I did pizza again tonight, this time, not Papa Murphys.

The local convenience store/deli has dough they sell (for too much $$$ it turns out).  I bought three dough balls and made a bunch of smallish pies and some bread sticks.  Not too many photos, but here is an 8 inch or so piZza:

It was good, but frankly not as good as PM, and a hell of a lot more work. Plus they charged me 3.50 per dough ball.  I suck at tossing or rolling dough, and frankly it is not 'fun' for me.  I'd rather be drinking a beer.   I started each of these pies on parchment, and removed it about half way through cooking.

As I was about to put the last pie on, I remembered that I wanted to try calzones as prompted by LW and Vermin recently.   I hastily crimped the edges of the last pizza and just cooked it up.

Here is a shot with oozing cheese and then flipped.

I was too stuffed to eat any calzone.  That is what breakfast is for.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:36:38 PM by G$ »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 06:52:34 PM »
Nice work G Money! I really lke those calzones! I must try these soon.

Scotty Da Q

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »
Rocking those new handles...awesome!
Regards,
Scotty Da Q

Glenn W

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 04:52:44 AM »
Nice pies for sure! That is one sweet grill you have  8)