Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Ranch Project  (Read 4736 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
First Ranch Project
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:26:38 PM »
I was lucky enough to recently acquire an older style Ranch kettle, AKA "mothership".  They just have a very cool look to them - low to the ground, with a traditional triangle support:

This one is definitely a cooker, and to that end, I need to to get it in shape to go. 
With all that real estate, I wanted to create some zones to cook with and wanted a charcoal basket to enable smoking on the mothership.  I used the tried and true "expanded metal" method of making a basket.  It took two 12" X 24" pieces to provide enough material - total bill was just shy of $35.  I have wired it together and will tack weld it tomorrow:

You can see just how big this thing is - it could almost swallow Bisbee whole:

Looking forward to some big cooks!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

SixZeroFour

Re: First Ranch Project
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
Sweet Grail Winz!!! Man is that thing awesome! One of the coolest looking kettles hands down! :o :)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:52:34 PM »
Sweet kettle...    Can't wait to see the cooks on it!

:D
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:44:11 PM »

Whole hawg !!!!

Whole Hawg !!!!

Whole Hawg!!!!

Sorry, always have to do that when someone gets a Ranch....it's tradition......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Winz that is one awesome grill. I would trade up to old school for my present day version. Not sure it would move around as well as new school version, but is it about the legacy of tradition that carries on. Congrats on an awesome score, look forward to your cook pictures.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:02 PM »
I love the charcoal basket. I'm gonna have to talk to my welder buddy. He normally charge me for a couple bags of sunflower seeds. The mothership i awesome.

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:31:39 PM »
Winz, you have the most amazing collection.  A true steward of Weber history mixed with the most perfect amount of innovation and personal vision.  I have to think the uppity up's at Weber Inc, follow this site and they must look at your collection and projects like Bisbee and say "Why didn't we think of that."

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:03:14 AM »
Winz that is one awesome grill. I would trade up to old school for my present day version. Not sure it would move around as well as new school version, but is it about the legacy of tradition that carries on. Congrats on an awesome score, look forward to your cook pictures.

Greg - I am hoping to recreate your "10 racks of ribs" cook one of these days.  In reading past threads like yours, it is clear that you have to think through the prep for the cook to get the best results with a Ranch.

Winz

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 05:18:18 AM »

Greg - I am hoping to recreate your "10 racks of ribs" cook one of these days.  In reading past threads like yours, it is clear that you have to think through the prep for the cook to get the best results with a Ranch.

Winz

You will do just fine Winz. They hold temp better than you think. Your out of the box already, you have a custom charcoal holder!

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 05:41:35 AM »
Winz,
 Nice job on the custom charcoal holder. Man 10 rack of ribs on one grill cool!!!
All the best with the ranch kettle.

Dan
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 06:14:15 AM »

Winz

Careful not to think yourself into a corner......

that could be dangerous with the steep drop-off here :

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 12:06:08 PM »
That's a great looking cooker. I can't wait to see some food on it.
A Wonderful Family!!!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »
Beautiful grill Winz.....I think you need a hammered copper ash pan so that beautiful deck doesn't get burn marks....:)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 08:43:54 PM »

Whole hawg !!!!

Whole Hawg !!!!

Whole Hawg!!!!

Everytime Winz gets a kettle larger than 22.5" we need to do a group cook on it. Also a WKC tradition! haha.  8)

I knew you would break down and get this one, Winz! Kudos. You won't regret in one bit.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:01:57 PM »

Whole hawg !!!!

Whole Hawg !!!!

Whole Hawg!!!!

Everytime Winz gets a kettle larger than 22.5" we need to do a group cook on it. Also a WKC tradition! haha.  8)

I knew you would break down and get this one, Winz! Kudos. You won't regret in one bit.

I am liking this idea. Seriously. 

Got a wedding to take care of on the 30th, but after that we need to make this happen

Winz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk