Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thanksgiving turkey: Roast or smoke?  (Read 2488 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Thanksgiving turkey: Roast or smoke?
« on: November 21, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »
For the past several years I've done our turkey in my 18 ½ WSM and been happy with the results. This year I have another tool in the arsenal, having added a 26 ¾ kettle to my collection. Since fowl benefits less from the low and slow technique that the WSM excels at, I'm considering roasting the bird in the big kettle. I'd like to follow Alton Brown's suggestion to roast at 500° for half an hour and then finish at 350° until the bird is done (tenting the breast after the 500° segment to keep the whit meat from overcooking.)

My biggest concern is getting the kettle up to 500°. It seems like the fire just doesn't get enough air to burn that hot even with the vents wide open. Perhaps I could crack the lid for additional air.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

thanks,
hank
kettles, smokers...

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: Thanksgiving turkey: Roast or smoke?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
Hi Hank,

How big is the bird? Can you put charcoal on either side, or only one? On my 22" I usually start with three fully lit chimneys of charcoal poured on both sides, this gets me to the 500 degree range fairly quickly and lasts at least half an hour. Any longer than that would require another chimney of fully lit charcoal.

Chad

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:45:47 PM »
The best turkey I can make is in my kettles.  It just comes out perfect.  I never get it to 500.  I actually follow the instructions that came with my grill.  It is awesome.  I also brine it, I think that's the key....

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:27:38 PM »
The best turkey I can make is in my kettles.  It just comes out perfect.  I never get it to 500.  I actually follow the instructions that came with my grill.  It is awesome.  I also brine it, I think that's the key....

Brian

What Brian said!!  ;)

Craig

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 04:22:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
\How big is the bird? Can you put charcoal on either side, or only one? On my 22" I usually start with three fully lit chimneys of charcoal poured on both sides, this gets me to the 500 degree range fairly quickly and lasts at least half an hour. Any longer than that would require another chimney of fully lit charcoal.
Hi Chad,
It is a 19 lb. bird. If I decide to go with the grill (and I'm leaning that way) I'll give extra charcoal a shot. One of the benefits of the 26 is that there is extra room for charcoal along either side. I plan to use a drip pan and could put additional charcoal at either end.

...  I actually follow the instructions that came with my grill.  It is awesome.  I also brine it, I think that's the key....

Instructions? What are these instructions you speak of?  ;)

I will brine it using a mix of apple juice and salt. I'm actually cooking tomorrow to accommodate work schedules and kids who return from Cancun tonight.
kettles, smokers...