Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Autoresize pic width in threads  (Read 4210 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Autoresize pic width in threads
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:29:42 PM »
Is this a feature we can turn on? Are there any drawbacks to doing this? It would be nice to get large pics to automatically condense to a max size to make content viewing more manageable. In order words, I am too lazy to resize all my pics from various camera sources.  :P
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Autoresize pic width in threads
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:59:10 PM »
There are some older ones that are supposed to be for useful demonstrations that are 2400 x 4400 or the like that are completely worthless.....great that what you can scroll to see is so clear, but it may as well be the side of a jumbo jet for all anyone knows.......................
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:31:20 AM »
since pictures are hosted offsite, resizing the actual photo wouldn't be possible

it might be possible to detect width and set a smaller width attribute in the img tag after it loads - but the user will still have to download the huge image.

the programming and overhead involved is likely not worth it. we're better off educating people

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:42:26 AM »
we're better off educating people

Those are fighting words! jk. I know that some forums download the full size but then show the shrunk image to 800px or whatever.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:14:25 AM »
Are you talking about your Grillfella pics...specifically the one with Allingham?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
Are you talking about your Grillfella pics...specifically the one with Allingham?

Yes that one too but it was more of a general comment. I shoot with multiple cameras, multiple processing methods, multiple uploading and hosting methods sometimes the pics come out small but sometimes they are huge! Id prefer to keep everything high quality and easy to upload/without inconveniencing myself or anyone else except Troy. :P

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »
hey, i saw that! :|

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:45:24 AM »
since pictures are hosted offsite, resizing the actual photo wouldn't be possible

it might be possible to detect width and set a smaller width attribute in the img tag after it loads - but the user will still have to download the huge image.

the programming and overhead involved is likely not worth it. we're better off educating people

It is definitely possible to have forum software resize the image automatically even with a picture that is hosted elsewhere. I do it all the time on other forums that I am a member of. This is the only one that I'm on that doesn't do that. I obviously can't say if it is a feature that is available but I'll seconds Gummi's interest in it. I hate having to get 2 different image files ready when I want to post the same image on multiple sites. It makes me less inclined to post it here.

If you do find a way to make it work, I'd definitely appreciate it but will understand if you can't make it happen as forum software is not all equal.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 03:00:30 PM »

It is definitely possible to have forum software resize the image automatically even with a picture that is hosted elsewhere. I do it all the time on other forums that I am a member of. This is the only one that I'm on that doesn't do that. I obviously can't say if it is a feature that is available but I'll seconds Gummi's interest in it. I hate having to get 2 different image files ready when I want to post the same image on multiple sites. It makes me less inclined to post it here.

If you do find a way to make it work, I'd definitely appreciate it but will understand if you can't make it happen as forum software is not all equal.

To clarify - it is NOT possible for the forum software to resize an image that is not hosted by the software.
There are 2 scenarios that you may be experiencing.
1: The software is displaying a smaller sized image automatically, but the file is NOT resized.  The client browser still downloads the huge file.  This isn't ideal as it creates a bad user experience (although a huge image loaded inline is already a bad experience)
2: the software makes a copy of the file, resizes that copy, and displays the self-hosted resized copy. This is the ideal solution, but involves a lot of tech overhead AND space.

I'm looking into ways to improve photo posting and hosting.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »
Thanks, Troy.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »

To clarify - it is NOT possible for the forum software to resize an image that is not hosted by the software.
There are 2 scenarios that you may be experiencing.
1: The software is displaying a smaller sized image automatically, but the file is NOT resized.  The client browser still downloads the huge file.  This isn't ideal as it creates a bad user experience (although a huge image loaded inline is already a bad experience)
2: the software makes a copy of the file, resizes that copy, and displays the self-hosted resized copy. This is the ideal solution, but involves a lot of tech overhead AND space.

I'm looking into ways to improve photo posting and hosting.

Thanks for clarifing, Troy.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »
@Troy, now that pics.weberkettleclub.com is live I would like to bring this up again. I would like to upload and post pics directly from my iPhone without it showing up 2000px wide. Thoughts?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 11:15:27 AM »
@Troy, now that pics.weberkettleclub.com is live I would like to bring this up again. I would like to upload and post pics directly from my iPhone without it showing up 2000px wide. Thoughts?
Upload,  use bbcode medium linked from the provided embed codes