Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This makes me cringe  (Read 4566 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: This makes me cringe
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 08:47:47 AM »
Probably accurate for the most of us, Zork...... ;D

Nice to know that it might be possible to completely recondition one if needed also...... 8)

Lawd knows, I've tried !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

BBQGrail

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
Not really all that interested in what collectors want.   I did it because that's what I wanted.

When you find your 26 inch, I will congratulate you and would never criticize your decision to leave it as you found it.  I will start looking out for you.

Thanks though for your post because it brought me to this group.

Larry

I say cringe because im a fan of letting items show there age and battle scars, all of my grills i clean and shine and let the beauty of the untold stories shine through. As much as i love the bright new restored look i love an original look whether its new old stock or beat down for me its not complete unless original.

Its not to bash the time put into an a resto, its the taking the character away from it and changing the skin from porcelain to paint. And for me the cringing had to do with my hopless efforts to obtain a 26 of age as well.

And truthfully for.all the collectors how many are searching for a painted kettle, there have been painted ones obtained and threads on how to remove the paint and show the porcelain underneath. This is not to say that people would not keep one however in my opinion i beleive most are looking for originality.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 06:47:22 PM »
Larry, welcome to the club. We have all kinds of diverse members AND their kettles here. Cookers, lookers, originals, restorations, customs, and rat-rods! The common bond is that we all love our Webers! :D
 I for one would love to hear/see how well the paint held up. If we ever discover a magic combination of preparation and paint type I think we will see some impressive custom kettles.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Marshallflyer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »
Larry welcome to the board. I enjoy reading your blog and Facebook posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk