Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This makes me cringe  (Read 4565 times)

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
This makes me cringe
« on: July 31, 2014, 07:53:02 PM »
http://www.embersandflame.com/leftovers/antique-weber-kettle/

Sanded And painted wow they learned the age and bought grates but didnt figure out it was porcelain
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:53:18 PM by zorknards2 »
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: This makes me cringe
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:03:03 AM »
 ::) :o :( :(
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:54:17 AM »
also a 26r.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:56:21 AM »
Well hopefully, that anyone else will find the WKC before they do something like that again.
I'm not too worried about he facthat someone painted an old 26er, cause it looked pretty rough. As long as they are using it and it aint rusting somewhere..

Someone should find that guy and get some updated pics..  8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
Why cringe? Somebody cared about an old kettle enough to try and return it to its original glory! I say good for him. I'm biased by the way. I spent a lot of time and money restoring a redhead that I rescued out of an old barn.   ;D  I cook on this regularly.

BBQGrail

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
http://www.embersandflame.com/leftovers/antique-weber-kettle/

Sanded. And painted wow they Bm learned the.age.and bought grated but didnt figure out it was porcelain

Imagine my surprise when I see over 100 hits on a six year old post.  I figured I'd find out what all the interest was about. 

So I made you cringe?  I got a chuckle out of that.

I knew it was porcelain coated steel.  When a kettle is as old as this one is and the finish had not been taken care of the only really viable way to make it all pretty was to sand and paint.  I figured I would try and fully restore so it would look good next to my two "newer" 26 inch kettles and my two 22 inch kettles.  (You see I'm a fan of Weber Kettles.)

Over time I spent quite a bit of time restoring this kettle.  It took longer than I had anticipated because of some family and life issues that distracted me.  Over time I had the dents removed at a friends motorcycle shop with an English Wheel.  I scoured Craigs List sites and other places for several years looking for original wheels, which I eventually found.  I had the whole thing painted professionally.  I polished the legs and the vent covers to a beautiful shine.

I had the utmost respect for this old kettle.  Once it was done I ended up donating it to children's charity for a raffle item, which raised over $500.00.  This may make some cringe, but I'm quite proud of the work I did on restoring something that deserved the respect I paid it.

The only thing I wish I had done differently was make sure the picture I took were backed up when I lost my hard drive.

Have a great day.

Larry

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »

Larry, howdy & welcome !!!

You are the fellow from up in Roseville, right?

The MOINK ball master?

Whereabouts did you get the painting done & how, if you don't mind sharing?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
Welcome, I hope you hang around.  We all love kettles here.  I don't think it's cringeworthy.  The effort was noble.  Usually when you repaint the grills, the paint eventually blackens and falls off.  But that's not important, the important thing is, that you cared enough to try to save that old war horse.  If you want to know it was a little bit older that what Weber told you.  It was from the early 70's it was a great find and I hope whoever got it, enjoys it.  You did a nice thing....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

BBQGrail

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »
Yes, it is I.  You're close, I live in Rocklin.

I got the painting done in San Diego, where my brother had a connection for me.

Larry

Larry, howdy & welcome !!!

You are the fellow from up in Roseville, right?

The MOINK ball master?

Whereabouts did you get the painting done & how, if you don't mind sharing?

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:19:46 PM »
Lol. Dude came in here first post, poked Zorks coals and bailed out. Gotcha from left field 6 years in the making. 

Hope he hangs around...that's funny stuff
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

BBQGrail

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 07:25:07 PM »
Lol. Dude came in here first post, poked Zorks coals and bailed out. Gotcha from left field 6 years in the making. 

Hope he hangs around...that's funny stuff

I hope poking Zorks coals isn't code for something...

This looks like a place I just might need to hang out at once in a while.

Larry

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 07:29:23 PM »
Nah..no code. Welcome to the club! Post some pics...we would all like to see what your cookin on.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

BBQGrail

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »
Nah..no code. Welcome to the club! Post some pics...we would all like to see what your cookin on.

I'm getting ready to pack for an EggFest tomorrow but I'll post pictures of all my cooking equipment when I get back.

Thanks for the great welcome!

Larry

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 08:26:12 PM »

Good Deal....have a grate EggFest & check back in......

Guys Larry, I believe, is the first person I saw do ABT's......does this frighten or excite you?

Is it Embers & Flame now or still BBQ Grail?

Answer when you can...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »
I say cringe because im a fan of letting items show there age and battle scars, all of my grills i clean and shine and let the beauty of the untold stories shine through. As much as i love the bright new restored look i love an original look whether its new old stock or beat down for me its not complete unless original.

Its not to bash the time put into an a resto, its the taking the character away from it and changing the skin from porcelain to paint. And for me the cringing had to do with my hopless efforts to obtain a 26 of age as well.

And truthfully for.all the collectors how many are searching for a painted kettle, there have been painted ones obtained and threads on how to remove the paint and show the porcelain underneath. This is not to say that people would not keep one however in my opinion i beleive most are looking for originality.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:51:25 PM by zorknards2 »
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.