Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Color Changing  (Read 6292 times)

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Color Changing
« on: July 26, 2014, 03:09:40 AM »
I have been looking for a good deal on a green OTG for quite some time with no luck. This got me thinking, I now have 5 Black ones; how hard would it be to just change the color on one? Anyone done this successfully? I spent some time doing some searching and never really found what I was looking for. I see some posts that say forget about it and others that say you can. So who, if anyone, has successfully done it? How did you prep the surface and what paint did you use?

Thanks

Tom

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Color Changing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 03:53:10 AM »
Buckie did that by creating an orange but is still had an issue when he banked the coals, not worth it IMO.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 05:38:47 AM »
Very hard to keep the paint on after heating up the kettle. You may be ok with the lid but the paint usually bubbles and runs off the bowl.
A Wonderful Family!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 05:48:36 AM »

Yeah, it is possible, but only works so well....

See Here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/feelin'-fruity/

The paint stayed adhered fine, but it's kind of a crapshoot.......
I later banked coals & it discolored the paint......a load of charcoal packed in must be higher than the heat rating of the paint.........it was standard hi-heat automotive spray can stuff.....I've just located a place that has a much wider range of goods.............
You can do it, but things I would do different would be to take the thing all the way to bare metal, do slightly lighter, thinner coats of everything including the hi-heat clear & probably still use charc. baskets !!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:51:19 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 06:12:27 AM »
I used some paint on the bowl of a red 18 I rescued.

It is now showing dark, almost black areas where the heat has been most intense.
Sorry, no pics of that. Just have to take my word on it.

If I were to do it again ... no paint ... just vegetable oil.
However, I was also covering up some high-heat JB weld, and it's still fine.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:54:12 AM »
I have a red 22 that was touched up beautifully but then I started cooking on it and the bowl is back to its freckles however the lid is holding up well. As for green OTG's they are still in production and can be had fairly easily as compared to an older color.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:38:38 AM »
Guess I will go back to searching for one. Sounds like painting is not really a good option.

Thanks for everyone's help..

Tom

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
Maybe have someone apply cerakote high heat. Good +1200 degrees, but it would cost a lot to coat it. Probably as much as buying a new grill.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 06:17:13 AM »
Go get a copper or crimson at Lowe's.  Where do you live?  I have grills maybe we can make a deal?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:33:59 AM »
Here is a pic of the discoloration.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »
Go get a copper or crimson at Lowe's.  Where do you live?  I have grills maybe we can make a deal?

Technically I can "find" a green one by purchasing one new (I know Walmart's website lists them), I just don't want to spend $149 on another grill when I already own 5 black kettles (plus 2 performers). Just thought if I could spend $30 or so on paint and paint one of the many black ones I have green, that would solve my problem. The issue here is the only ones that ever pop for sale used are black. Now if you want to swap one of my black ones for one of your green ones.. ;-) (ya I know..)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:21:44 AM »
I hear ya....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »

Technically I can "find" a green one by purchasing one new (I know Walmart's website lists them), I just don't want to spend $149 on another grill when I already own 5 black kettles (plus 2 performers). Just thought if I could spend $30 or so on paint and paint one of the many black ones I have green, that would solve my problem. The issue here is the only ones that ever pop for sale used are black. Now if you want to swap one of my black ones for one of your green ones.. ;-) (ya I know..)

I don't like the dark green kettles. I would definately trade you straight up for a black one so I would put it out there in the MST section. Shipping one will likely be expensive putting you around $55 to ship plus the cost of the kettle but that's also another option.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 10:07:05 AM »
I've only done touch ups to Red and Green kettles and I can tell you for a fact that the spots on the bowls will eventually turn black. The lids on the other hand have stood up very well. My go-to paint is Dupli-Color Engine paint with Ceramic and the Red is a pretty good match. I'm more concerned with cosmetics and keeping the rust at bay on the lids where its more noticeable, the bowls just take too much heat.

Here's a couple examples of Seattle area Redheads that had rust damage that undermined the porcelain finish.

Mask the areas off as close to the damaged areas as possible.

I suppose if you were in the sandblasting business you could repaint a kettle any color you wanted to.

I've used Stove Brite fireplace paint that is supposed to be rated at 1200* on some Drum Smokers and accidentally left the lids off and had that paint burn off like nothing flat, so in the long run it wasn't worth spending $15+ a can.

Here is a pic of a Cajun Bandit conversion that I repainted a couple years ago that is starting to show some paint bleed through, but it kinda matches the two toned lid in a way.

your mileage may vary!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!