Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need some ideas for a side dish  (Read 2017 times)

toddmog

• WKC Brave
Need some ideas for a side dish
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:59:26 AM »
The men's group at my church is doing a bbq throwdown next month.  It will be very informal, but I still want to win!  ;D  I'm not sure of all the rules yet, just that I'll enter the meat and side competition.  I'll probably be doing spare ribs and/or chicken depending on how long we have to cook.  All cooking must be done on site, but prep can be done ahead of time at home.  Due to the size of crowd. I plan on taking my UDS and my red Master Touch.

I know that one guy is doing ABT's and at least one other is doing beans of some sort.  So, I need some ideas for sides that can be cooked on the kettle that will feed around 10 people.  I have about three weeks to get things squared away with a trial run or two so I'm not going in cold.

Thanks in advance!!!
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Need some ideas for a side dish
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »
I am cooking a variation of Metal Mike's Cabbage Cannonballs right now, but I am not sure if cooked cabbage is a head turner for a BBQ comp.
I have seen some pretty cool things involving Brussel sprouts on the stem.
If you don't have to grill the side dish I have a wicked coleslaw that I can outline for you.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
I'm not sure if the side actually has to be cooked or could be a slaw or something similar.  It does have to be something I would eat though, so that rules out slaw or anything else with mayo in it.  I was thinking about bacon wrapped asparagus since I doubt anyone would do it...but it might be too simple.  But then again, it has bacon, so it would be hard to go wrong!
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 06:12:29 PM »
Smoked potato salad and use sour cream instead of mayo

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 03:53:16 AM »
For the Win:

Everybody loves a smoked Mac & Crack, up the creamy & cheesiness

Caramelize or (crunchy on top) onions, dice ham, bacon, instant rice so many variables to tease!

http://www.cooking-outdoors.com/smoked-bacon-mac-n-cheese-recipe/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tCa49JogCU

+ Chop & stir in a cup of kale, spinach or de-seed peppers for color too...

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:23:39 AM »
Now we're talking. Smoked Mac and Cheese with bacon! I'll be doing a trial run soon.

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:09:03 PM »
After two trial runs with smoked Mac & Cheese, I ended up doing some drip beans with the smoked rib tips from the spares I did on the UDS. Beans got 2nd place and I took first with the ribs. No pics since everything went from the pit to plates. It was a good day and now I have a SJG in the collection along with another Weber spatula and tong set. Now to find a pot to make a mini wsm...wish Walmart would get them back in stock online.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:46:41 PM »
After two trial runs with smoked Mac & Cheese, I ended up doing some drip beans with the smoked rib tips from the spares I did on the UDS. Beans got 2nd place and I took first with the ribs. No pics since everything went from the pit to plates. It was a good day and now I have a SJG in the collection along with another Weber spatula and tong set. Now to find a pot to make a mini wsm...wish Walmart would get them back in stock online.

Two, count 'em TWO walks !!!!

Good Show, man !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"