Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Winter Grilling  (Read 13056 times)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: Winter Grilling
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »
it was zero today...BRRRRRRR! But I smoked anyway. There was a decent breeze so I used my windscreen made of 4 2'x4' 1/2" plywood and held together with hinges so I can fold it up. it isn't anything fancy, but it works great for my WSM, Performer, and Gasser....not all at once though ;)  No pics today, but here's a couple of shots of it from warmer times.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:18:01 PM by Chad A »

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
Now that's just nifty  :o
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
... I used my windscreen made of 4 2'x4' 1/2" plywood and held together with hinges so I can fold it up.
Does that stay put in heavy wind or do you need to do anything to hold it down?
kettles, smokers...

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
... I used my windscreen made of 4 2'x4' 1/2" plywood and held together with hinges so I can fold it up.

Slight to breezy winds havn't been a problem, gust and moderate winds can be though. So I was using the gold hooks on the top as temporary hold downs. I soon switched to four eye bolts through each side, much sturdier and fate wasn't being tempted. I also swabbed it down with some Thompson Water Sealer so it would do better when it's wetter. I plan on adding feet to it eventually so it doesn't sit in water and ruin the bottom.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:24:05 PM by Chad A »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »

Slight to breezy winds havn't been a problem, gust and moderate winds can be though. So I was using the gold hooks on the top as temporary hold downs. I soon switched to four eye bolts through each side, much sturdier and fate wasn't being tempted. I also swabbed it down with some Thompson Water Sealer so it would do better when it's wetter. I plan on adding feet to it eventually so it doesn't sit in water and ruin the bottom.

Maybe get some strip metal & bend to make the feet match WSM ?

Good build on the wind screen !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »

Maybe get some strip metal & bend to make the feet match WSM ?

Good build on the wind screen !!!

That's not a bad idea. I found some metal bracket glides with adjustable plastic feet, but I only have four and I cannot find them anywhere else. So the strip metal/aluminum might be the better idea.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »
Maybe make the footing with a flat part ( 6~ 8 inches?) to sit on the ground, then a 45 degree bend back on each side, then bend straight up on either side of the wood, drill thru & bolt.....

Not just a small pointy area sitting on the ground like the WSM, think it would be a whole lot more stable?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 06:50:21 AM »

Chad can you give me the specifics of what I would need to build that?  Like how to ask for that type of board/wood by name and all the little do-hickeys I would need.   :P :P :P

I am guessing this could be made with regular home tools?  Just regular little home drill and tools like that?

Excuse my ignorance......   :-\ :-\ :-\
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »

Chad can you give me the specifics of what I would need to build that?  Like how to ask for that type of board/wood by name and all the little do-hickeys I would need.   :P :P :P

I am guessing this could be made with regular home tools?  Just regular little home drill and tools like that?

Jumping in for Chad ...

He used 1/2" plywood - probably exterior grade. That comes with either one side nice or both sides nice at different costs of course. He sealed with Thompson's preservative. Another alternative would be to use pressure treated plywood and then there is no need to seal. I can see that he used ordinary strap hinges which would be my choice if (when?) I make something like that. Then just get whatever handles or fasteners you want to use to make it convenient. (I see some sort of chain clasp that Chad can identify.)

The biggest issue tool-wise is cutting the plywood. I find it difficult to get a really straight cut with a hand saw. I think some home repair stores have saws that can cut sheets of plywood. I would look for a store that has that and ask them to cut it. Even if they charge extra (one cut free?) it's probably worth it.

Were I making it, I would add a couple small pieces hinged to the bottom that would fold out flat on the ground big enough to hold a couple concrete blocks. Or maybe attach a hook that could tie down to a concrete block. I'd really hate to have this blow over in heavy wind and that's the time I would most likely be using it.
kettles, smokers...

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »

Jumping in for Chad ...

He used 1/2" plywood - probably exterior grade. That comes with either one side nice or both sides nice at different costs of course. He sealed with Thompson's preservative. Another alternative would be to use pressure treated plywood and then there is no need to seal. I can see that he used ordinary strap hinges which would be my choice if (when?) I make something like that. Then just get whatever handles or fasteners you want to use to make it convenient. (I see some sort of chain clasp that Chad can identify.)

The biggest issue tool-wise is cutting the plywood. I find it difficult to get a really straight cut with a hand saw. I think some home repair stores have saws that can cut sheets of plywood. I would look for a store that has that and ask them to cut it. Even if they charge extra (one cut free?) it's probably worth it.

Were I making it, I would add a couple small pieces hinged to the bottom that would fold out flat on the ground big enough to hold a couple concrete blocks. Or maybe attach a hook that could tie down to a concrete block. I'd really hate to have this blow over in heavy wind and that's the time I would most likely be using it.

Thanks Hank! Correct on pretty much everything. I used outdoor grade 1/2" plywood partly because it was cheaper than the pressure treated stuff. But also the outdoor grade was already cut to 2'x4' sizes, a BIG plus as far as I was concerned. I didn't want get into having to cut a 4'x8' section into 4 2'x4' sections... too lazy I guess. I picked these up at Home Depot. The chain you see is actually a door chain I had laying around in the garage. This helps keep the wind break closed when surrounding my wsm.
I don't have them, but some handles would be nice to help move it, it is a little heavy but not impossible to pick up when I want to move it.
I thought about the hinged "wings" on the bottom for stability and block anchorage, but I wanted as little as possible in the way of a foot print with the wind break. My thought was less is better for easier deployment and storage. So I used four eye bolts that are attached in each section to which I can tie down the wind break to whatever is heavy enough that's close by.

So tool wise, a small drill, wrench and pliers are about all you would need to do this project . Thompsons can be sprayed on too, so you wouldn't necessarily need paint brushes either.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »

Here you go...

4  2'x4'x1/2" plywood sections. You should be able to find these at a local home improvement store; Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
6  6" strap hinges. Zinc plated or galvanized ones won't rust on you, go with zinc or galvanized.
48  1 1/2"x1/4" bolts, with washers and nuts; 1" is not long enough 1  1/4" would be perfect but you'll probably only find 1 1/2"...again, go zinc plated or galvanized.
4 or more 1 1/2" long eye bolts with nuts & washers. Yes, zinc or galvanized again.
Handles would be a nice addition, so would a door chain. Some feet protectors would be nice too, it will raise the wind break slightly so as to keep it off the ground and out of the water.

The hing placement is the tricky part. If you look closely at the pics, you'll see it gave me trouble too  :-[
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:23:19 PM by Chad A »

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 02:51:56 PM »
The hing placement is the tricky part. If you look closely at the pics, you'll see it gave me trouble too  :-[
I was going to suggest to be careful with hinge location so the panels can fold back on themselves. Was that the issue you wrestled with?
kettles, smokers...

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:11:49 PM »
I was going to suggest to be careful with hinge location so the panels can fold back on themselves. Was that the issue you wrestled with?

Yep. Rather than clamping them to see if they were placed right, I just plowed ahead and screwed it up. Glad it was salvageable and serves as a constant lesson about haste and waste; I never was one to measure twice, cut once.  ;)

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 10:58:47 AM »
 It gets in the 20(s) around here but the biggest change for me grilling in the winter vs summer is the light.  I have Weber light that clamps to my deck rail so I can see what I'm cooking.

That is a very nice wind screen there Chad.  I may make one of those as is does get breezy here on the hill.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:07:58 AM by bama bbq »

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »
Hank I like the way you used the gasser to keep things warm great idea and a good use of your tools.

It is still real cool around here during the day highs of 30 to 35 low winds but by the time I get home already getting dark for the day. I want to try and do a cook this weekend, I am missing the taste of smoke.