Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: first cook on the new grill  (Read 4937 times)

bobbytables

• Smokey Joe
first cook on the new grill
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »
well, I finally got around to trying my hand at cooking on the OTG.  i figured i owed you guys a report since you all have been so helpful to a BBQ noob. my grill arrived with the bowl damaged, so I waited for Weber to send a replacement.  I got the new bowl in a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had time to cook anything until tonight. My wife and I were in the mood for steak, so I said what the heck... let's see if I can mess up $30 worth of meat. I figured steak was a safe bet since I knew I could probably choke it down even if I overcooked it. I picked up a bone-in ribeye for my wife and a ny strip for myself. I loaded up a chimney full of royal oak and let her burn.

I guess I should say here that my wife was opposed to the charcoal grill after years of using propane, but I told her just wait and see. well, I pulled the steaks off and she took a bite and said, "that's as good as any steak I've ever eaten".  I felt good about that because me and her and steak go way back. we actually met while working in a steakhouse and have about 20 years combined of working in steakhouse.

I did learn a few things:
-barefoot is not the best way to go when using a chimney starter. 
-I need to purchase and use an oven mit of some kind. I sacrificed my thumb for the steaks where the lid handle was burning it. I couldn't figure out where the hook was on tbe inside of the lid, and I HAD to turn the steaks right then :-) I should have a good blister tomorrow for my troubles.
-don't forget the obvious things in my excitement like the fact that different thickness steaks cook differently. I was only thinking about hitting med rare on my strip and as a result I cooked my wife's ribeye a little more than I meant to.

thanks for the help and advice offered directly and all the indirect advice from all the posts on here. I've got a lot to learn for sure. obligatory pics below.

Using Tapatalk

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: first cook on the new grill
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »
Those steaks look great!  Good job!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »
Nice cook !

Yep, barefoot will get you doing the Hollywood Bullet Dance !

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:38:30 PM »

Yeah well, if I don't singe myself at least once, it's not real, man..................... 8)

Really nice lookin' cookup !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »
Just the way I like my steaks cook. Very nice.

HalfGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:30:47 AM »
Nice work. Taking advice from this crew you'll be a pro in a hurry. I'm with you buckie, I burn myself all the time. I nearly shouldn't be allowed anywhere near fire.

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 07:00:05 AM »
Great looking steak! The smell of a couple steaks cooking over charcoal is what heaven must smell like! Check out a pair of welding gloves, they are great for handling the chimney and lid.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 08:53:03 PM »
Nice steaks!
If it breathes, we can cook it!

rich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:07:34 AM »
That looks good!!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:43 PM »
That steak looks beauty - I'd hit that any day.  As per the burns.....got 7 Webers I do and am wearing fresh scars from 3 of them right now.  Not counting the 5 or 6 permanent ones that is. You guys say I should wear a glove when grabbing the lid?  I should try that I guess.  The crazy cook in me likes the hazzards.  I also have been play fighting with Rottweilers for the last 20 years....sometime back it was 2 at once.  Scars and kicks were also part of it.  Damn I love my dogs and Webers.  I hit 14 grills with my recent Crimson SJ.  The city has a bylaw where you can have only 3 dogs per house.  I have 3.  Good thing they don't have a limit for grills.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:40:36 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Frantz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »
Man, now I have to go grill steak tonight because of your pictures - thanks a lot! Those look so good!

I'm pretty new to the scene and also found out the hard way that I would need some sort of mitt for grilling. I know that my buddies and I are going to start roasting whole pigs in the near future, so I splurged and got a good pair of oven gloves. I figured that if I get into this whole grilling thing, I might as well do it right. I bought these on Amazon and love them: http://amzn.to/1mKnGAk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »
Wow that steak looks perfect! Kudos. Remember, safety first! Go to the local store and buy yourself some weber accessories. You deserve it. :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Heritagecycles

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 04:56:53 PM »
They look great! How did you cook them?

bobbytables

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »
I bought these on Amazon and love them: http://amzn.to/1mKnGAk
Thanks for the glove recommendation.  Do you have any issue reaching over the fire with heat on your arms? I was thinking I'd need the style that protect the forearms too to save a few arm hairs.

Wow that steak looks perfect! Kudos. Remember, safety first! Go to the local store and buy yourself some weber accessories. You deserve it. :)
So far I've got the Weber grill, grill cover, chimney, fire starters, and thermometer (which I melted on my first time using it btw).  I think I just need the gloves and the grill utensils next :-)

They look great! How did you cook them?
Nothing fancy.  Just rubbed 'em down with Montreal Steak seasoning and cooked over Royal Oak about 5-6 minutes each side.  I haven't had that steak seasoning in about 15 years, but I remembered liking it back then.  Turns out I still do.
Using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »

Thanks for the glove recommendation.  Do you have any issue reaching over the fire with heat on your arms? I was thinking I'd need the style that protect the forearms too to save a few arm hairs.

Look closely......I have no eyebrows......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"