Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber experts need help!  (Read 6923 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber experts need help!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »
VMy only concern is the drive is really far from me through heavy traffic.

And as one user said it is a older model with the black ash catcher. 

I also have no idea what condition the grates are in.

Also, does this model have a one touch lighter on it?

Because of the drive and the heavy traffic I wouldn't go for this at $150. If it was a more rare color or had loads of accessories, maybe. But there are many variables, many of which you have already mentioned. If you drive a long ways and then get there and the there's a huge ding in the back side or the grates are shot you might have a tendency to settle on a grill you're not happy with because you've already put that much gas money and effort into it.
Just my 2 cents.

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 05:41:22 PM »
VMy only concern is the drive is really far from me through heavy traffic.

And as one user said it is a older model with the black ash catcher. 

I also have no idea what condition the grates are in.

Also, does this model have a one touch lighter on it?

Because of the drive and the heavy traffic I wouldn't go for this at $150. If it was a more rare color or had loads of accessories, maybe. But there are many variables, many of which you have already mentioned. If you drive a long ways and then get there and the there's a huge ding in the back side or the grates are shot you might have a tendency to settle on a grill you're not happy with because you've already put that much gas money and effort into it.
Just my 2 cents.

Got them down to $130.  Now what should I do?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »
Where are you located? $130 for that is a decent price if it's complete and in good shape. These don't show up too often depending on where you are from. If it's in budget, nearby, and a performer is what you want, go for it and get grilling!

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »
All three of my Performers have that style of tool hanger and they a 2010 (AD) models, I'm not positive but I think Weber started
using that style tool hanger in 2009, so I'd say it is a 2009 or newer and as long as there aren't any major dents or the porcelain
isn't trashed, that being said if you are comfortable with the price you negotiated and the outlay to go get it, then grab it as, unless
you plan to flip it, you will replace grates at least twice and replace igniter parts possibly once over the lifetime of cooks that you
will do on that cooker.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »
Where are you located? $130 for that is a decent price if it's complete and in good shape. These don't show up too often depending on where you are from. If it's in budget, nearby, and a performer is what you want, go for it and get grilling!

I'm in Orange County, ca 

lemisfits

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »
Woodland Hills is too far from OC.  There are plenty of performers that come up in LA/OC area.  I say that you get a used SS Performer and rebuild it compared to the newer performers.  Get a colored one that is more interesting than black.
Looking for a lime or imperial blue...in my dreams.

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 10:41:56 PM »
Woodland Hills is too far from OC.  There are plenty of performers that come up in LA/OC area.  I say that you get a used SS Performer and rebuild it compared to the newer performers.  Get a colored one that is more interesting than black.
You're right I will be patient.
The ss abbreviation stands for stainless steel?  Sorry I'm a noob.

rivercityjeff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
The original post Performer is model # 56201.   It's gas ignition.  Should have a hinged top grate and two charcoal baskets.  If needed, I can scan a manual for you.
Yes, yes I am a pork-eating Infidel
Green Performer Platinum  Green Genesis 330
Tan Q2200

Kgo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
The original post Performer is model # 56201.   It's gas ignition.  Should have a hinged top grate and two charcoal baskets.  If needed, I can scan a manual for you.

No that's not necessary.   Do you think it's worth $130 assuming I have to replace the cooking grates?

Also it is amazing that you can identify the model based on those two pictures.  Hats off to you sir.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:51:56 PM by Kgo »

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 07:33:03 PM »
Your gonna want the gourmet grate anyway. Don't sweat that.
Go with the $130 in pocket but talk up the good and start looking for the bad. Point out the dings and chips in the finish. Be nice about it but be objective. See if you can get down to 100 or possibly a chimney and a bag of coals thrown in to sweeten the deal. Don't be afraid to walk away! Your gonna pass this first kettle off anyway when the one you really want comes soon.  Just remember that when Labor Day hits and summer is over there will be a flood of grills on CL.

...and charcoal clearance sales... 8)
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »
Nothing wrong with that price. Go get it and start cooking  :D

By the way. I got a new one for Christmas and it has the clock so I guess the year would be between 2009 and 2012.

Don't worry about the grates. Build a good size fire, brush them off and you will be good to go.

Oh, one last thing. Make sure the table isn't cracked. They're I think 50.00 to replace, and crack easily if you decide to move the grill by picking up the end of the table.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:16:24 PM by AZ Monsoon »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 03:31:18 AM »
If that one is cracked it will still be under warranty.  You'll be fine
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 11:05:47 AM »
there's a stainless performer in garden grove right now for $50
it needs some work, but it'll fix up

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/4573780512.html

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »

there's a stainless performer in garden grove right now for $50
it needs some work, but it'll fix up

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/4573780512.html

I'd bet a million dollars that's just mis assembled ......I'd personally go check this one out could be a steal :)

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

SixZeroFour

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
That's a nice looking performer and by no means a bad deal but I'd say hang in there if you've got $130-$150 to spend. That's at the upper price range for an SS Performer so you should be able to find a nice one for the same $.

Personally the cart is my primary concern when I'm on the hunt as these parts all cost the most to replace. Once you have a good solid platform to work from you can just swap different bowls in and out as you upgrade. Keep an eye on CL and when you see a performer pop up in a color you prefer negotiate the best possible price then swap kettles and sell off the other complete performer for what you paid for the new one.

Good Luck with the search - you've already got tons of good advice!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:30:08 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E