Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Secret Ingredient Ribs.  (Read 806 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Secret Ingredient Ribs.
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »
I cooked these earlier in the week.  OK, not the best picture, but take a guess.

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Secret Ingredient Ribs.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:14:43 PM »
This was the paste or sauce applied during the end of cooking:

They started naked for most of the cook:

They got "pasted" at the end:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:16:53 PM by G$ »

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:30:27 PM »
So it is fresh fig season here.  A buddy dropped by with a dozen black figs from one of his trees and I had a half (don't ask) rack of ribs to cook and have some fun with so I said why not?

The primary ingredients:

The figs were halved and then grilled to get their sugars pumping.  Look close and you can see them started to ooooooze awesomeness.

The resultant insides looked like this once squeezed out:

I added a bit of garlic, some tomato paste for color and texture, Agave to sweeten it up, and balsamic for bite and to balance it all.  I did add a dash of cayenne to give it some kick, but not much.

I think the bite shots are kind of weird but here goes.  The ribs themselves were cooker really well, despite not being top quality to begin with.

It was good!  I would actually make it again, especially to serve to someone who did not care for things that are sweet or spicy.  It was earthy and mellow, with just a hint of sweet and a small bit of vinegar bite.  The one change I might make is to cut down the tomato paste even more and make the past more liquidy.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »

was about to guess blackberries.....

good show.....i've used figs in the distant past & recall they were really good.....didn't mix with tomato....don't recall the fixup, but man, fruit with pork is a go & you really hit it on this one !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"