Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Let's Talk Rotisserie  (Read 6045 times)

BigRix

• WKC Brave
Let's Talk Rotisserie
« on: July 10, 2014, 05:10:09 AM »
I love my rotisserie and I'm sure other owners do as well, but being the nerd that I am, I want to now more about them and the slight changes that have been made over the years.

I had one that I sold to G$ that I never took pictures of and it had enough differences that we surmised it might be aftermarket. After seeing Harris's, I know believe it was just older. I hope G$ can take some pics of his for this thread.

The main differences were the tabs and the motor attachment.

The tabs were squared off and not rounded, like mine. The motor was metal cased and used this style attachment. (Pic stolen from the internet)

The second style is the one I own and it has rounded tabs, a plastic housing to the motor and slides into place. I believe this is the most common style.

The new style that I am seeing in the stores now has no tabs at all. It has a formed ridge around the bottom and looks like it might seal better than the old styles. (Again, pic stolen from the internet.

What I would like from this thread is pics of your roti's, boxes, catalogs, and any facts or wild speculation about the timeline of these changes.

Feel free to nerd out.

Lewis Skolnick seen here with an early prototype Maverick 0.023 Model
Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Let's Talk Rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 06:13:19 AM »
Will snap some today Rick.  I still think it is not a weber ring.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:42:07 AM »
These are pics of my motor.

It says on the motor housing:

BREVEL MOTORS
MODEL 400                       115 V. 60 CYC
MOTOR                             .5 AMP
OUTLET (IF PROVIDED)    6.5 AMP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are pics of the spit.   It was missing the handle end (probably the ring shape nout) and it is missing the counter weight.    In comparing with the weber box one ..... they sure look identical don't they?  What is the purpose of the 'washer' next to the handle? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the square tabbed ring.  (The ring is really out of round).  Tabs are 1 inch from the edge.

Ring with key hole style  Mounting bracket

Square tabs.

Mounting bracket hardware:

You got this with a mid 90s Mastertouch right? Or was it a SS performer?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:06:42 AM by G$ »

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 08:07:01 AM »
Here are a couple pics of the motor from the older 26" roti I have.  This is from the early to mid 1960s.

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:13:48 AM »
That looks like a variable speed. How cool!

AR180S.com

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
1)  AZMIKEY, lets see yours.  I think you have a square tab ring and non weber ish motor right?
2)  Stephen, this confirms Brevel were making the model 400 for quite some time, keeping the model number and specs but changoing design.  Look at the cool dial switch on the old one!
3) The shaft on that motor looks like it was made specifically for running on a 26 as opposed to a 22.
4) Stephen, how many tabs on that 26 ring? The tabs look round?

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:27:21 AM »
I will post some close up pics of the ring tonight (including the tabs). :)

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »
the 1960's 26" roti has 6 rounded tabs (see below).  I also have a never used 26" roti.  Don't know how old it is.  This roti has square tabs.

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »
To answer G$'s question about the washer, it is there to keep the handle from sliding down the spit as the counter weight is tightened.

AR180S.com

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:15:10 PM »
I have a rotisserie add-on question... does anyone have the cradle style basket for a 22" kettle? I'm wondering what the dimensions are.  Was it made by Weber, or someone else?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:30:39 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 07:01:23 AM »
Yes, the motor on the old roti is variable speed.   :)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 07:23:28 AM »

I have a rotisserie add-on question... does anyone have the cradle style basket for a 22" kettle? I'm wondering what the dimensions are.  Was it made by Weber, or someone else?
It was made by ez-que. I have both the 6 in and 8 in baskets. When I get home later I can take some pics.
Here is a pic next to standard weber spit rod loaded with chickens😎

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »

It was made by ez-que. I have both the 6 in and 8 in baskets. When I get home later I can take some pics.

Thanks! Would love to see pics of how they look/dimension comparison...

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 05:25:39 PM »

Thanks! Would love to see pics of how they look/dimension comparison...

Hi Bob, sorry for the late response. Here is the standard weber spit next to the 6 inch ez-que cradle.

The cradle have these arms that are adjustable to tightly hold whatever you are turning.

Cradle basket is 17.5 in long.

Width is of course 6 in

Ez-que and pat # on both ends

The two ends (motor and handle) can be made to adjustable lengths as these screw into cradle.

Handle end - I use a bushing instead of the cutout on the handle rod.

They both work fine. I also have the 8 in cradle for the kettle, and both the 6 and 8 in cradles for my genesis. The cradles are longer for the genesis (I think 21.5 in).
Mike

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 08:03:45 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed pics, Mike! I love my roti, but these baskets have got to be so much easier than the spit... I think I may need to track one of these down.