Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: sourcing and pricing a LP tank for an SS Performer  (Read 4292 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
sourcing and pricing a LP tank for an SS Performer
« on: November 06, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
Hey, I'm on the trail of a nice-looking SS Performer for a friend (don't get too excited-- it's black), and it's missing the LP tank.  I'm wondering if anyone has found those 5-pound replacement tanks anywhere, and about what they paid.  I've heard they can be found at some hardware stores and at some RV dealerships, but I have no idea how much they might cost.  Can anyone give me an estimate?  Thanks.

Oh, and before you ask, here's the listing and a photo:  http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/3391093580.html 

I'm trying to get this grill all operational for under $100.
One of the charcoal people.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: sourcing and pricing a LP tank for an SS Performer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »
You can still get them through Weber.  I have seen the occassional one of the shelf at Ace Hardwares by me.  They go for about 50 bucks new.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
Thanks, Jeff!  I just called Weber to inquire, and they said they don't have them anymore.  But knowing that they are around 50 bucks is really helpful information. 

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
There are those tanks on the shelf at an Ace store by where I work.  They always stock them and they are around $50.  If I ever need to get a tank I can go there and get one...

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
It has to be cheaper to just convert it to a standard 20 lb tank. That's what I would do for sure. But, I'd also go a step further and make it capable of hooking up to my Coleman camp stove. I'm looking for a green ss performer to do exactly that. I want to mount the stove on the handle end so that when it's folded down and not in use the top of the stove is flush with the SS top.
#grubdubs

Grillingtome

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:09:06 PM »
It has to be cheaper to just convert it to a standard 20 lb tank. That's what I would do for sure. But, I'd also go a step further and make it capable of hooking up to my Coleman camp stove. I'm looking for a green ss performer to do exactly that. I want to mount the stove on the handle end so that when it's folded down and not in use the top of the stove is flush with the SS top.

Kaz,

Where do you store the 20 lb tank? I roll my grill out for cooking and this would seem a little awkward compared to the small tanks.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »
Thanks for all of this helpful information, everyone.  My buddy is picking up the grill tonight, though he might not be shelling out the cash to fix up the gas assist right away.  He reminded me that the grill will work perfectly fine without the gas assist, and he's certainly right about that.

So I did some calling around today, and found that the RV dealerships I was hopeful could help were mostly without 5# tanks.  One had one in stock, but it was like 120 bucks (no thanks).  None of the hardware stores I called had any, but I'm led to believe that my local Lowes can get one for me for 53 bucks.  So I might go that route.  And as AJ points out, the mighty Amazon can deliver one to my door. 

I suppose there's a way to buy some connections to enable the use of those disposable 1lb tanks like the modern Performers use...  I should look into that at the hardware store. 

Man, I love those SS Performers...  someday I'm gonna find me a red one. 

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »

Kaz,

Where do you store the 20 lb tank? I roll my grill out for cooking and this would seem a little awkward compared to the small tanks.

I haven't built this yet. But my plan is to hang it on a weber gas grill mount with the built in spring gauge. Either under the stove or off the back.
#grubdubs

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
Kaz, I have ot ask.. Why?
Just get a Weber with the side table burner..
Like this one:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsh/3393149923.html

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 05:20:58 AM »
Kaz, I have ot ask.. Why?
Just get a Weber with the side table burner..
Like this one:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsh/3393149923.html

Why did Shawn make the red rat? Why didn't he just go buy a 50's red grill? Why do you want a lime grill when a black one cooks just as good?

I want a charcoal grill with a side burner. I have a genny with a side burner. I want to be able to keep this one in my shop and cook out there or take it camping/tailgating. Just thought it would be cool and work for me. Its just a dream because I don't have the SS performer. I love cooking on the Coleman stoves. I was always the cook in scouts. Don't hate, AJ! Dream crusher!
#grubdubs

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 05:56:00 AM »
No worries Kaz.. Don't want to crush the Boy Scouts dream!
I was just curious as to where the inspiration came from.
I'm sure it will be all you hope for. AJ 8)